Route Guide    Journal    What's New    Partners    Forum
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Anchor Cordolette: Figure Eight Ends or Continuous Loop

Apr 5, 2016
For your belay anchors, do you:

Option Alpha: rock the method with figure eights on each end

OR

Poll Style!

J
Jeffo
Joined Mar 15, 2016
0 points
Apr 5, 2016
Depends on the anchor, but I typically close the loop with a flat overhand. Am I going to die? Nick Sweeney
From Spokane, WA
Joined Jun 8, 2013
572 points
Apr 5, 2016
I go with the 8's, when I use one. Just clip both 8's to one biner and you have a loop if ya need to BigB
From Red Rock, NV
Joined Feb 18, 2015
0 points
Yes Burcheydawwwwwwg
Joined Jan 9, 2012
750 points
Nick Sweeney wrote:
. . . I typically close the loop with a flat overhand.

This.
Crispy.
From Chicago
Joined May 23, 2014
0 points
Apr 5, 2016
Neither. Leave it untied. If I use a cordelette, I tie the ends into the masterpoint knot wivanoff
Joined Mar 3, 2012
317 points
Apr 5, 2016
My cordelette has a figure 8 on each end. Works great if you build an anchor with 3 or 4 pieces of pro that are spaced and you need a lot of cord. I used a closed loop for a while but haven't gone back after I switched to the figure 8 on each end. Chase D
Joined Apr 27, 2015
0 points
No tim
From Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 6, 2006
50 points
Apr 5, 2016
Closed loop if you clip into the "shelf" above the knot. Gunkiemike
Joined Jul 29, 2009
1,850 points
wivanoff wrote:

This. Pre-tied cordelettes are dumb.
doligo
Joined Sep 26, 2008
212 points
Jeff0 wrote:
For your belay anchors, do you: Option Alpha: rock the method with figure eights on each end OR Option Beta (bet you thought I'd say Bravo): Tie it off with triple fish's and use the continuous loop method? Poll Style! J

Does how you tie it depend on the thickness of the cordolette? I was under the impression that the lower diameter cords should be doubled up if used as a cordolette?

Can anyone comment on this?
matt c.
Joined Nov 19, 2009
10 points
Apr 5, 2016
Matt, if your cordalette is so skinny that you don't trust a single strand, then it is not strong enough. The greatest advantage of a cordalette is flexibility in how you can build anchors. If you can't use a single strand going to a far-away piece, then you negate the primary benefit.

In my anchors class, we discussed the minimum amount of force that a belay anchor should be able to hold (the numbers escape me now). After this discussion, I looked up the strength of the 6mm cord I was using, and upgraded to 7mm after realizing that 6mm isn't *quite* enough for my own comfort level.

Regarding the pre-tied vs untied debate, I leave mine untied because I find myself frequently making funky anchors... one such monstrosity on the N face of Dragontail Peak consisted of a 10cm ice screw, a picket, a small nut and a .5 c4, all of which were equalized. Versatility is key!
Nick Sweeney
From Spokane, WA
Joined Jun 8, 2013
572 points
Bryan Manning wrote:

Good call!
Jeffo
Joined Mar 15, 2016
0 points
Apr 5, 2016
I keep mine tied off in a loop with a fisherman's. Ted Pinson
From Chicago, IL
Joined Jul 11, 2014
40 points
fig 8s Nathanael
From Riverside, CA
Joined May 27, 2011
136 points
What I usually do:
Nick Sweeney wrote:
I typically close the loop with a flat overhand.

What I'm trying to learn to do:
wivanoff wrote:
If I use a cordelette, I tie the ends into the masterpoint knot
Jonny d
Joined Jan 7, 2011
0 points
Nick Sweeney wrote:

Alternatively, couldn't one use a low diameter cord but always use it doubled up? Like in a loop configuration?
matt c.
Joined Nov 19, 2009
10 points
matt c. wrote:

But at that point I'd use a 240cm dyneema sling like those made by BD and Mammut. You're already giving up some flexibility so you might as well get the real weight savings. I use one of these slings more often than I carry a proper cord, but it doesn't have the flexibility.
Nathanael
From Riverside, CA
Joined May 27, 2011
136 points
Apr 6, 2016
matt c. wrote:

You could, but why would you? Like I said, that removes the versatility of your cordalette.
Nick Sweeney
From Spokane, WA
Joined Jun 8, 2013
572 points
Apr 6, 2016
Jonny d wrote:
What I usually do: What I'm trying to learn to do:

Here's one way:

Here's the way I usually do it:
mojagear.com/learn/2015/04/09/...

Leaving it untied allows me to figure 8 or clove then ends, tie the ends into the masterpoint, tie a quad, use it for rap tat. Versatility to do whatever I need.
wivanoff
Joined Mar 3, 2012
317 points
Apr 6, 2016
I keep mine in a quad for bolted anchors. If they anchors aren't either bolted or a tree, it's usually multi-pitch and i'll use the rope. On the rare occasion I find a gear anchor for single pitch i'd probably untie the quad and use it end to end with cloves instead of figure 8s eli poss
From Durango, Co
Joined May 9, 2014
131 points
Apr 6, 2016
Chase D wrote:
My cordelette has a figure 8 on each end.

^what i currently do.
Nick Sweeney wrote:
typically close the loop with a flat overhand

^what i used to do
I go for 5-6mm cord depending on the objective, 6mm for cragging, 5mm for everything else.
that guy named seb