Best Times to Meet: Weekend
Climbing Resume(in progress)
1993 - 2000:
- My initial exposure to climbing was top roping once or twice a year, at places like Blue Mounds, Palisades, and Devil's Lake.
- Basic skills learned were setting up top ropes and climbing with goldline ropes, a Swiss seat, belaying and rappelling with a figure 8.
- First exposure to gym climbing and I became more excited to learn more about climbing.
- First exposure to lead climbing (sport and traditional), discovered bouldering as way to stay in shape.
- At that time I lived in Southern Iowa, attending Graceland University; I was fortunate enough to meet someone who showed me a fun place to climb in Missouri.
- First trip to Sam's Throne, Arkansas. I was invited by some climbers from UNI.
- For Spring Break that year I toured Missouri! Camped and climbed for several days at Johnson Shut-Ins and Elephant Rocks State Park. To finished up the trip we climbed at my favorite places to climb: Trappers Camp.
- At the beginning of the summer I traveled to Korea; It was a family vacation, but I did bring my climbing shoes and scouted out several places to climb for any future visits.
- After taking almost a year off climbing to focus on school; I had moved to Des Moines and found a climbing community in Ames to call home.
- That June my climbing was refreshed by a trip to New Mexico! I found some great climbing in the Sandia Mountains, and hiking the La Luz trail.
- Returning to some familiar places this summer: Palisades Kepler S.P., Truman Lake, Trapper Camp, and Blue Mounds!
- In August I officially graduated from Graceland University!
- March 20th Palisades Kepler S.P.
- March 26-28th I took a trip to Devil's Lake with my old college buddies (JR and Micah).
- April 3-4th Palisades SP and Blue mounds SP.
- April 29th Hanging Rock.
- One of the weekends in May I took what would have been a ground fall into the Des Moines river; we all had a good laugh once I was out of the river.
- June 5th Took Mitch and Brice to Trappers Camp; I suppose you either love that place or hate it.
- June 15-19th I took my first climbing trip to Colorado! The climbing was great! Unfortunately there was a lot of rain that week. We climbed at Shelf Road, Garden of the Gods, and climbed Rewritten in Eldorado Canyon
- July 18th Pictured Rocks.
- July 24-31st on vacation with my future wife we climbed at Palisade Head,
- Shovel Point and The Bluffs of Thunder Bay.
- August 8th Pictured Rocks
- August 21st Hanging Rock
- August 28th Stratford Pillars
- September 4th Backbone S.P.
- September 11-12th Stratford Pillars
- September 18-19th Pictured Rocks and Indian Bluffs during the crag clean up day.
- September 25th Stratford Pillars
- October 5th Pictured Rocks
- October 9th Loose Rock, clean up.
- October 19th Pictured Rocks
- Spring Climbing in Iowa
- Board member of the ICC (Iowa Climbers Coalition). ICC: Website
- June 2nd - 4th I took my second trip to Vedauwoo
- July 21st - 30th First attempt to climb Longs Peak via Kiener's route. Ash and I climbed the First Flatiron in less than 2 hours. We finished up the trip attempting to Climb Devils Tower, unfortunately we ran out of light and the following day was raining so we cut our losses and went home. This time we learned our lesson not to plan so many routes in one week (like both Exum and Kiener's) to plan more time acclimating.
- Started running this year to improve endurance, and ad an additional outlet to challenge myself.
- Spring Trip to Horseshoe Canyon
- On July 28th Team Wall-nut creek: Ash, Joe, Chris, Jarred, climbed and descended Devils in 8 hours via the Durrance route.