Avg: 1.5 from 2 votes
|Type:||Trad, 200 ft (61 m), 4 pitches|
|Page Views:||726 total · 7/month|
|Shared By:||John Kelbel on Aug 10, 2012|
Registration is required prior to climbing on Maryland Heights. To register for climbing on MD Heights visit the Lower Town Information Center (however not required during Covid)
Cliffs that are closed to climbing and bouldering are Jefferson Rock, and the various quarry sites and small rock outcrops along Shenandoah Street. Virginia Rock Climbing is close which is basically the Virginia Cliff.
All Parking is closed on Sandy Hook Rd by the County Department of Highways including the trail head for Maryland Heights.
1. Climb up the blocks and left facing corner to a 3 long protruding drill rod, seen from the ground. Continue up the corner to a stair casing ledge system. Follow the ledges to the right and belay at the top of Center Stage and All Alone.
2. Climb a slab up to another ledge and continue up the corner and through the Off-width to a ledge.
3. Move right across the ledge to its end at a large left facing corner. Follow the corner up to a grassy wide ledge with trees.
4. From here there are several different ways to finish, here is one. Move straight up underneath the overhanging alcove to access a ramp moving up and left. Continue across the upper large ledge all the way to a massive square block and squeeze behind it or climb over it.
5. Finish the last half pitch of Spectacular Spectacle. Climbing the right diagonaling broken crack line on the left side of the massive square block about 5.8 and 25 feet long. Ends with a grate view on the outer corner of the train tunnel wall.