Avg: 2 from 3 votes
|Type:||Trad, 600 ft (182 m), 6 pitches, Grade II|
|FA:||FRA: Larry DeAngelo, George Wilson|
|Page Views:||1,445 total · 12/month|
|Shared By:||George Wilson on Feb 12, 2011|
|Admins:||Justin Johnsen, Larry DeAngelo, Aaron Mc|
HUMAN WASTE Human waste is one of the major issues plaguing Red Rocks. The Las Vegas Climbers Liaison Council and the AAC provides free "wag bags" in several locations (Black Velvet, First Pullout, Kraft Mtn/Bouldering, The Gallery, and The Black Corridor). These bags are designed so that you can pack your waste out - consider bringing one to be part of your kit (just like your rope and shoes and lunch) no matter where you go. Once used, please dispose of them properly (do not throw them in the toilets at the parking area).
1. Start on a boulder making a move or two up to a horizontal. Trend left following holds to another horizontal. Trend back right on a blank face(crux)toward a crack/corner and up to a belay ledge. Careful placing pro low as rope drag becomes an issue. This is a heady pitch!
2. Move belay under the corner. Climb the corner and traverse right about 50' and set a belay.
3. Climb the hand crack. Set a belay about 40' above its top.
4. Zig left from the belay then back right. Set a belay below the varnish. This is a short pitch.
5. Climb the beautiful face! Set a belay near the top of varnish.
6. Head up the varnish until the angle eases into a large ramp. Set a belay near the top of the ramp.
Getting Down. Head east toward a small notch passing some old pitons along the way. Rappel off slung boulders (original bighorn descent) until you can join the birdland rappels.