All Locations > Arizona > Southern Arizona > Mount Lemmon (San… > Mount Lemmon (Cat… > 6 - Mid-Mountain > Green Mt. Buttresses (GMB)
(F) Must Be Likin' Lichen
Avg: 1.7 from 6 votes
Routes in Green Mt. Buttresses (GMB)
|Type:||Trad, 430 ft, 5 pitches|
|FA:||AS, JMw 9/2010|
|Page Views:||972 total, 11/month|
|Shared By:||JMayhew on Oct 13, 2010|
|Admins:||Greg Opland, Luke Bertelsen, JJ Schlick|
DescriptionThis is more of a mountaineer type route with big ledges, trees, some loose rock, and lots of lichen. There are many variations possible on every pitch. You can actually hike in to the top of the first pitch from the right. If you veer off the original line be even more wary of loose rock and lichen!
1. Short horizontal and vertical cracks protect moves up face to 1st vegetated ledge. Step right and climb a shallow corner or a clean flake (better) to next large tree ledge. (5.6 100)
2. Diagonal left past small tree to a short crack thru a bulge, then up thru a small roof crack. Continue on face past a bolt to the next big ledge. Belay a little higher on smaller, sloping ledge with a tree. (5.7 100)
3. Right behind the tree is a crack used to backup the belay. Climb the next crack to the right, which becomes a steep, curving flake that angles back left. Follow this then wander up, passing a small tree on the right. Belay on a nice ledge about 15 feet above the tree. (5.7 80)
4. Up and then left along a thin horizontal flake, then up a crack to a small ledge with a corner above. Start in corner then step right onto face, continuing up easier ground to the top of the main buttress feature. (5.6 90)
5. Shift belay down into notch. Steep boulder moves lead past a bolt, then easier climbing to the summit. (5.7 60)
- Note: Combining any pitches will probably create some really annoying rope drag.
Descent: Scramble down steep gully and slabs on (climbers) right side of buttress.