The Emerald Highway
Avg: 2.8 from 6 votes
Routes in The Black Wall
|Ant Farm, The T 5.10+ 6b+ 21 VII+ 20 E3 5b R|
|Cannonball Corner T 5.10c 6b 20 VII 20 E2 5b|
|Cary Granite T 5.11c 6c+ 24 VIII- 24 E4 6a|
|Coffee Achievers T 5.10+ 6b+ 21 VII+ 20 E3 5b|
|Emerald Highway, The T 5.10+ 6b+ 21 VII+ 20 E3 5b|
|Escape Route T 5.8+ 5b 16 VI- 15 HVS 4c|
|Espresso T 5.11a 6c 22 VII+ 22 E3 5c|
|Good Evans T 5.10d 6b+ 21 VII+ 21 E3 5b|
|Harry Cary T 5.11 6c+ 23 VIII- 23 E4 5c|
|High Variance T 5.12b 7b 26 VIII+ 26 E5 6b|
|Old Rappel Route T 5.10d 6b+ 21 VII+ 21 E3 5b|
|Parallel Universe T 5.10 6b 20 VII- 19 E2 5b A4 R|
|Phil-a-Guster T 5.11a 6c 22 VII+ 22 E3 5c|
|Rainbow Highway T 5.10+ 6b+ 21 VII+ 20 E3 5b|
|Road Warrior T 5.10+ 6b+ 21 VII+ 20 E3 5b|
|Rusty Dagger, The T 5.12a 7a+ 25 VIII+ 25 E5 6a R|
|Seven Sins (linkup of S.O.A.S into H.V.) T 5.12 7b+ 27 VIII+ 26 E6 6b PG13|
|Sinners On Sunday T 5.12- 7a+ 25 VIII+ 25 E5 6a C0|
|Undertow T 5.10a 6a 18 VI+ 18 E1 5a A4- R|
|Undertow (free) T 5.11+ 7a 24 VIII 24 E4 6a|
|Unnamed Bolted Face T,S 5.11 6c+ 23 VIII- 23 E4 5c A1-|
|Type:||Trad, Alpine, 700 ft, 6 pitches, Grade III|
|FA:||J. Thompson, D. Haller, B. Collett, July, 2010|
|Page Views:||2,893 total, 32/month|
|Shared By:||Ben Collett on Jul 11, 2010|
|Admins:||Leo Paik, John McNamee, Frances Fierst, Monty, Monomaniac|
DescriptionThis route follows mostly continuous cracks for the length of the wall. With a few more ascents, it is a really nice continuous outing.
1) Start up a shallow, left-facing corner. After about 40 feet, it ends at a ledge. Above the ledge is an arch. Follow the arch to its apex, and face climb up to a small ledge above below another arch. 90 feet, 5.10+.
2) Climb over the arch, clip a bolt and climb left past a second bolt to a shallow left facing corner. Follow this until you can step left on to a ledgy system and a two bolt belay. 5.10-, 90 feet.
3) Head towards the large obvious corner. Climb up into the corner system using a nice hand crack on the left to avoid the blank section in the beginning. Belay at a two bolt belay on the right wall. 5.10, 140 feet.
4) Continue up the crack system passing a roof and belaying at the base of a chimney. 95 feet, 5.10+.
5) Follow the chimney to easier ground and belay at a grassy ledge. 150 feet, 5.9.
6) Climb straight up over a couple of short walls and find yourself at the base of a chimney after about 80 feet. Follow this to its end and make your way to the top of the wall. 5.7.
LocationOn the right side of the Black Wall, there are two prominent roofs that are about 300 feet above the talus. Between the two roofs is an obvious dihedral system. The Emerald Highway follows that system. It starts in a wavy flake system below the dihedral.
Per doug haller: the route starts below and to climber's right of both Good Evans and Road Warrior.