Mountain Project Logo

Resoling beginner climbing shoes worth it?

Original Post
Daniel Jeun · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2023 · Points: 28

I've been climbing with a pair of used Scarpa origins for about half a year now which I got from REI for about $30. The tip of sole is starting to rub off and I was considering if I should just use them till I have a hole in the shoe, or if I should resole them. It fits me pretty well and it is a comfortable gym shoe, but the resoling cost will be more than what I paid for the shoe originally. I am also considering getting a more downturned shoe like the Scarpa Instincts VSR since they seem to fit me very well (fits better than the origins).

P B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 22

Not worth it for your case. Resoling is comparatively more expensive and time consuming. Worth it only for more expensive shoes.

Connor Hale · · California · Joined Feb 2022 · Points: 5

I would suggest getting the new pair, and using the old pair as warm up shoes and try to avoid really jamming your foot against the wall or holds. For warming up you can try to make no sound when climbing, and this might extend their lifespan a bit. I personally started in $80 tarantulaces and ended up having them resoled with xsgrip2 rubber and I actually really like them as a general shoe. Not very performant but very comfy. 

nic houser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 10

My opinion- resole the shoe and buy the performance shoe. Keeps the shoe out of the Landfill and forces you to climb to a certain grade in the shitty shoe. Then climb the harder routes with the tighter shoe. It will keep your feet less messed up (if it’s loose) and improve your footwork. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,487

Resole them and use them for gym and warmup. You'll get more life out of the fancy new pair.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Resoling beginner climbing shoes worth it?"