Mountain Project Logo

Spray Foam on rope?

Original Post
M Fazio · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2021 · Points: 1

My gf roped me into helping roof/insulate her brother’s house and we ended up using our climbing gear for much of the work. Figured someone here might have experience with this, but we ended up with a good deal of spray foam on our rope...could this damage the rope in a dangerous way? Or is it just an inconvenience? Any and all insight appreciated.

rock climbing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2021 · Points: 0

I would get a new rope. The is a list chemicals that damage nylon.  

Samuel Ridgley · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Jun 2021 · Points: 0

Is $250 worth the risk? 

Thank you both, basically what went through my head when it happened.

It does make me wonder though what people in the business usually do, though, because if you’ve ever worked with spray foam, you know that it gets on everything. Do they have chemically resistant fall gear? No gear at all? Insulate from inside instead of on the roof? Just more careful with the foam? Any roofers or HVAC people’s opinions would be great to hear

Nolan Nolan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2022 · Points: 0

Post up some photos of what you were doing. I've never seen anyone doing it from the outside with ropes. I have only seen them using man-lifts for exterior work and that was only once.  

Nolan Nolan wrote:

Post up some photos of what you were doing. I've never seen anyone doing it from the outside with ropes. I have only seen them using man-lifts for exterior work and that was only once.  

I’ll get some pics. I’ve asked around and I think it may have been somewhat novel, and potentially mitigates ice dam formation. We used 4x8 sheets of foam insulation with fiberglass backing to grid over the existing subroof, and the pitch was so steep we felt the need for ropes. We filled in the patches and seams with spray foam and seam tape.

My gf and her family are also pretty redneck, so she thinks maybe this was an unorthodox solution...

Ryan K · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I think they use lifts most often..

New rope, and keep this one around for the next time you have vertical chores/need to pull a car out of a ditch..

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Spray Foam on rope?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.