Mountain Project Logo

Was this the first "route renaming"?

Original Post
MattH · · CO / NM / ME · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,226

Just left the Dolomites and had been eyeing a particularly beautiful pillar of rock, the Salame di Sassolungo

I learned that its storied first ascentionist, Emilio Comici, for whom the route would serve as his final first ascent of note prior to his death later in 1940, had been involved in the Italian fascist party and originally dedicated the route to fascist leader Italo Balbo

The route would later be renamed for obvious reasons thanks to its salami-like appearance, making this potentially the first example of a route renaming. Does anyone know of any earlier examples? I can find references to the new route name as early as the 1960s, though it may have already happened by the 50s.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

In 1919, British climbers Kelly and Holland put up 2 new routes on Scafell in the English Lake District which they named Sodom and Gomorrah. These names were considered too ‘risqué’ by the local guardians of climbing morality of the Fell and Rock Club who recorded them as Route 1 and Route 2 in their journal and through several editions of their guidebooks. The proper names have been restored in more recent editions.

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Hah I see the Morals and Equity Crew here at MP operated their jack booted renaming project with some puritan precedence!

Tradiban · · 951-527-7959 · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 212
Cherokee Nunes wrote:

Hah I see the Morals and Equity Crew here at MP operated their jack booted renaming project with some puritan precedence!

Are you of Native heritage? 

Jarret Xu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2020 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Are you of Native heritage? 

Ooohhh I remember that thread. That was a spicy one.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

"Mato Tipila" ------> "Devil's Tower." 

That's probably not the best example since I don't think the indigenous people climbed it. But there are thousands of renamed peaks and trails and routes to the top of rocks that were renamed after Europeans "discovered" N. America. 

Bb Cc · · California · Joined May 2020 · Points: 774

Most cities in The USSR were renamed after the revolution.

Natalie Blackburn · · Oakland, CA · Joined Aug 2021 · Points: 148
Andrew Rice wrote:

"Mato Tipila" ------> "Devil's Tower." 

That's probably not the best example since I don't think the indigenous people climbed it. But there are thousands of renamed peaks and trails and routes to the top of rocks that were renamed after Europeans "discovered" N. America. 

"Mt. Rushmore"

jeff hardy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2023 · Points: 0

Very interesting idea! I bet if we (anyone other than white cis males) started putting up FAs and naming them things that were offensive to that group speedtest.vet/  , the names would get changed real quick!

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812
jeff hardy wrote:

Very interesting idea! I bet if we (anyone other than white cis males) started putting up FAs and naming them things that were offensive to that group, the names would get changed real quick!

Classic troll hiding behind a new-as-of-today MP account.  Nothing of substance behind the above.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Was this the first "route renaming"?"

Log In to Reply

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.