Mountain Project Logo

Lost one shoe at the Gunks

Original Post
Alaina G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 70

If anyone happens to find my left Katana shoe in the Trapps (it would be at the base of Teeny Face or right near there) please let me know! I'd be so appreciative. They're pretty worn at the toe and faded, but they're my only trad/sport shoe. 

I'm not sure if there's a lost and found or guest services I can call where you'd be able to leave it. I was able to return a coat that way once (leaving it with the people working at the Trapps pay station)…anyone know if there's a number to call?

PTR · · NEPA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 10

People sometimes use (or used to use?) Rock and Snow as a lost and found for bail gear, etc.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

There are, unfortunately, multiple ways to return gear.  The finder might give it to whoever is running the sign-in stations, one at the Stairmaster and one at the West Trapps Lot.  If that's the case, the item will probably make its way to Preserve headquarters.  Their number is (845) 255-0919.  As mentioned above, it might be brought to Rock and Snow (which really isn't equipped to be a lost and found). (845) 255-1311. Or, the finder might hold on to the item and post about it on the Gunks Climbing Partners Page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/145997465580277.

Thank you both! Both the Preserve and Rock and Snow took down my info and were nice about it. Nothing had come in though. My shoe may be right at the base of Teeny Face. I feel like that route doesn't get a ton of traffic and maybe no one's even been there yet since Tuesday. 

I'm going to look for my shoe at the base of the climb tomorrow morning and then head to The Annex. Anyone know—and maybe I should start a separate thread in the area forum, gear forum or general forum—if New Paltz has any more stores that carry climbing shoes aside from Rock and Snow and The Annex? (There's one other brand I want to try on that Rock and Snow doesn't carry.)

EMS has a small climbing store next to the Mountain Harbor Deli (opposite the Mountain Brauhaus at the intersection of 299 and 44-55). The Gravity Vault in Poughkeepsie (yeah, not New Paltz) has a small selection of shoes.  I'm not sure about BC's Climbing Gym in New Paltz but you could check with them.

rgold wrote:

EMS has a small climbing store next to the Mountain Harbor Deli (opposite the Mountain Brauhaus at the intersection of 299 and 44-55). The Gravity Vault in Poughkeepsie (yeah, not New Paltz) has a small selection of shoes.  I'm not sure about BC's Climbing Gym in New Paltz but you could check with them.

Is that the Eastern Mountain Sports Climbing School/Technical Gear Shop?

Yes.

Thanks! Rock and Snow was great (although for some reason, the guy working asked if assumed I was looking for my first pair of climbing shoes).

Got a pair of Finales for the comfort. Still hoping my Katana turns up though. 

If anyone wants to help me solve this shoe problem (similar to a climbing problem!) it's still a puzzle:

Lowered from TR on Teeny Face. 70 meter rope barely makes it (once you stop weighting it, both ends will go up about 10 feet from the ground). I had my shoes on when I finished lowering. I got on my partner's shoulders to grab the belay device from his end, because we kind of forgot it was going to go up when I untied after cleaning. Shoes were still on my feet.

Sneakers were a few feet away. I put my climbing shoe in my bag and zipped it up (apparently, just one shoe). I didn't unzip my bag until I got to my car, to get my keys out. There really aren't many places it could be—it couldn't have fallen on the trail. It wouldn't have been at the base of any climb other than Teeny Face! I'm 99% sure it wouldn't have been in the East Trapps parking lot. And it didn't fall out in my car.

My best guess is that it either blended in with the ground or dirt so well that it's still at the base of Teeny Face under a rock or leaves, right up in the start area by the wall, or I guess, someone may have taken the one shoe and not dropped it off at the visitor's center. Any other ideas?   At this point, yes I'm attached to the old shoe but I also just want to solve the mystery lol. How did I lose one shoe? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Lost one shoe at the Gunks"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.