Mountain Project Logo

Beta for Cumberland Crags

Original Post
IJMayer · · Guemes Island, WA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 350

Never been to any of the Cumberland crags. Wondering about its potential for taking a toddler. Any shady crags with flat base area? 

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I've been out to Cumberland a bunch and can't really think of any toddler-friendly spots.  The approach to the Coal Mountain crag is a short trail through the woods but it's almost all big talus as soon as you hit the wall.  The approach to the 7 mile crag is either to walk or drive a fire road to the top but then there is fall exposure or to approach through a clear cut at the bottom, there might be shaded safe spots for a toddler.  TBH, I don't have kids, maybe toddlers are more robust than I give them credit for.

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

7 mile would be the better crag, its honestly a toss up. Some of the routes have precarious belay spots others are fine but I wouldn't want the kid roaming around. 

Thank you! Was hoping to switch it up from Erie but I’ll stick to what I know 

Darin Berdinka · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 267

Not sure where you’re climbing at Erie but 7 mile can’t be worse than that.

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106529597/new-millennium-wall

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106526138/the-goliath-boulder

True there are not many options, but these two are very good. Trying to switch it up. I would go to Fridge Wall but I'm building my own house this summer so I'm not in fingery 5.12 shape

WOW.. 1st time hitting a post limit.. seems restrictive,,

Edit: Ryan’s is actually very shady and cool after 1pm. And when I was there I noticed a nice breeze when the shade came as well. It got me psyched (before baby) to go there for afternoon sessions. The area is flat right when you get to the cliff but only for 3 or 4 routes before the base goes up a hill that’d be too steep for toddlers. Fun place though. Maybe we will try Cumberland once. Less people was a thought since we’d have the babe. 

New millennium wall and Goliath Boulder are well away from the top of Mt Erie and are definitely safe from falling tvs.. I agree the other semi appealing options (summit wall and lookout) suffer from the glass and appliances..

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

It's worth making at least one trip to Cumberland if Erie is your baseline.  To me the rock feels similar to Erie but it's in a subalpine setting with a lot less people and a lot less chance for a beer bottle or a TV to get thrown from the parking lot.

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

What about Ryans wall isnt it open now? I havent climbed but given it is roadside it should be good with a toddler? Might get pretty hot tho. 

saign charlestein · · Tacoma WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,690
Princess Puppy Lovr wrote:

What about Ryans wall isnt it open now? I havent climbed but given it is roadside it should be good with a toddler? Might get pretty hot tho. 

Ryan's would be ok with a toddler, from what I remember as long as the have some attentive supervision

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

7 mile has an alternate trail that leads from the main road up through the clearcut to the base. No need to hike from the top. The trail is brushy but not sketchy. 

ianv · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 0

Iron Mountain may be the most toddler friendly of the three cumberland crags, Ian.  Approach is short (even shorter than 7 mile) with a very short section of talus, but not coal mountain dangerous talus.  Once at the base, all the climbs are within 100' or so and no ledges to fall off of.  Better climbing than Coal (with the exception of one stellar route at coal and an additional few good ones).  Fairly unlikely to see other people up at Iron.  7 mile has the largest concentration of quality climbs, but there are a few spots where a toddler could take serious fall.  Worth checking out and assessing for yourself though. 

Thank you!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Beta for Cumberland Crags"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.