Mountain Project Logo

Mormon Crickets Swarm Wild Iris

Original Post
Molly Malone · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2017 · Points: 20

Showed up at Wild Iris and it seems a swarm of Mormon Crickets has arrived. Taking to folks they just showed up today 7/11. Top of the quarry seems to be the worst of it, but also at the end of OK Corral.

They are harmless, but a total nuisance. 

Anyone experience a swarm and how long does it last in an area? 

Matt Miccioli · · Lander, WY · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,622

They're also in town for the Climbers' Festival. Should be gone by Monday.

M M · · Maine · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 2

Prayer and flocks of seagulls will rid them.

Dow Williams · · St. George, Utah; Canmore, AB · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 240
Molly Malone wrote:

They are harmless, but a total nuisance. 

Mormons or crickets?

Adam R · · Southwest mostly · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 0

Ah so these are the bugs that were having suicide orgies on the roads of Wyoming. 

E I · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0
  1. These crickets were the nastiest things in wild iris. Presumably migrating from Salt Lake, these mormon crickets were both unexpected and uninvited. They overran campsites but were not strong enough for the rodeo. Maybe next year they will find a spot on the podium but for 2023 the remain a nuisance to its climbers and hikers.
Mulch · · Jacobstown, NJ · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,139

Your "Wild Iris" isn't the first place to experience an infestation of annoying and unwanted bugs from out of state.

Garth Sundem · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 20

I was just in SL,UT and a plaque above the hotel coffee explained that Mormon farmers initially met an 1859 plague of crickets with clubs. (Which is awesome and also something you should try, esp. during the Climbers Festival.) When this proved ineffective or at least inefficient, and with the winter food supply quickly transmogrifying into more crickets, prayer "summoned" thousands of California seagulls which munched the crickets and saved the Mormons. The California seagull is now the Utah state bird. I believe there are many lessons in this story: 1) Always carry a club in SL,UT -- you never know when you will encounter crickets...or Mormons also wielding clubs; 2) Utah, when you're in trouble, California will save you; 3) Seagulls speak to God; 4) Mormon crickets are probably not actually Mormon. I'm sure there are more takeaways I'm missing. Happy to receive additional insights.

Nicole Bryant · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2022 · Points: 0

Anyone know if the crickets have cleared out of the camping / climbing areas yet? 

Ryan K · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

Still there - not as bad 

Trad Man · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I hate those things. Disgusting creatures 

M M · · Maine · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 2
Trad Man wrote:

I hate those things. Disgusting creatures 

At least they dont bite and they go well with chocolate and marshmallows for send day.

Trad Man · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

They absolutely do bite, or at least nibble your feet   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Mormon Crickets Swarm Wild Iris"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.