Mountain Project Logo

Skaha beta

Original Post
Robert Gaston · · Bend, Or · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 15

I’m currently in bend or and wanting to do a sport climbing trip in a place with cooler climate without driving all the way to tensleep. Skaha looks great but I was wondering about the car camping situation there and how easy it is to find partners. I don’t see many posts on MP for partners. Do a lot of people hang around there this time of year? Any other sport climbing suggestions for a dirtbag in the PNW ??

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

Skaha is not cold. Banff or squamish are much cooler. I also have no idea where you would camp because pentiction is filled with wine tasting Karens’.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

The climate at Penticton/Skaha is pretty similar to that of Bend. It is essentially a desert environment and is the warmest place in Canada - not the cool weather haven you are looking for. Climbing is great though, there's lots of shady crags, and the lakes are nice. Camping is a hassle.

From Bend, the closest good destination for summer sport climbing would be the Humboldt region. See the new Redwood Burl guidebook. Trinity Aretes and Promontory are the best summer spots there. Land of the Lost is also supposed to be good. Plus there's redwoods, beach, etc. Great spot. Cool temps in summer, especially for the crags right on the coast. At Trinity Aretes you can camp for free at the parking.

Squamish is also a nice summer sport climbing trip.  Canmore is great too, but that's a longer drive from Bend.

Mammoth Lakes has good high elevation sport climbing also. Though some of that may still be hard to access from the big snow year. If your trip is more in the ~August timeframe, those Sierra crags should be opened up by then.

Note on finding climbing partners: if you are travelling solo and need to find partners, Squamish is by far the best option. Very easy to find partners there.

Some of the other areas mentioned are a bit backwoods and you'd want to bring a climbing partner with you.

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

Penticton does have the best wine, I don't really drink much wine and I drank it my whole trip there.

Princess Puppy Lovr wrote:

Penticton does have the best wine, I don't really drink much wine and I drank it my whole trip there.

This is true. 

Skaha is great for going super bougie on a climbing trip. Stay in an AirBnB in town, lakes and wine tasting on rest days, etc. Not the easiest place though for dirtbag mode.

Dan Bookless · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 1,930

While on the subject.

Elm Street by Skaha Lake Beach on the south side of town is where I slept in my astro van while climbing at Skaha

49.454410, -119.584095

seemed like the city and neighbors tolerated it, there was definitely a few other people sleeping in vehicles on that street.

(but as previously mentioned, mostly it's a bust for dirtbags.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Skaha beta"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.