Mountain Project Logo

Hutington Gullies in a day (car to car)

Original Post
Piotr Piotr · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 426

Hey NE Ice Climbers-

Been toying with the idea of climbing all the huntington gullies in a day. Some but not much info online about about past attempts and or whats the standard plan. Not sure if the snow gullies count as an ascent? 

Im thinking the following:

Up: North Gully

Down: Diagnal

Up: Damnation Gully

Down: Diagnal

Up: Yale Gully

Down: Central

Up: Pinnacle Gully

Up:Odell Gully

Up: South Gully

Down: Escape

Thoughts? 

Cheers- 

Brett Ford · · Boston, MA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 10

Going down south gully gets rid of an extra lap. I found it to be a pleasant down climb, obviously ymmv. It definitely makes for an excellent day out no matter what!

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Brett Ford wrote:

Going down south gully gets rid of an extra lap. I found it to be a pleasant down climb, obviously ymmv. It definitely makes for an excellent day out no matter what!

I agree with this.  When I played that game (decades ago) I din't want to repeat any thing.  The obvious ups were North, Damnation, Yale, Pinnacle and Odells.  Downs were Diagonal, Central, South and Escape.  So I need one more down - just walk out via Lion's Head or beat around the North side - not bad with a deep snow pack.  You want a lot of snow to make Escape ok too.  I'm slow enough that this had to happen in March

Pat K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 55

Are you skiing down or walking?

Eric Engberg wrote:

I agree with this.  When I played that game (decades ago) I din't want to repeat any thing.  The obvious ups were North, Damnation, Yale, Pinnacle and Odells.  Downs were Diagonal, Central, South and Escape.  So I need one more down - just walk out via Lion's Head or beat around the North side - not bad with a deep snow pack.  You want a lot of snow to make Escape ok too.  I'm slow enough that this had to happen in March

Thanks Eric, makes total sense.  

Pat K wrote:

Are you skiing down or walking?

Prefer to ski in/out but see how spring snow conditions stack up.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

the easiest way down from North Gully was to take a right at the top and just hike down skiers left.

DGoguen · · Conway NH · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

If the Krummholtz isn't covered with hard pack, coming down to the right of North Gulley can be brutal.

correct but trying to do all the gullies in a day with no snow pack is also going to be brutal.  we have to assume that the OP goes in ideal conditions. 

Ward Smith · · Wendell MA/Wentworth NH · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 26
DGoguen wrote:

If the Krummholtz isn't covered with hard pack, coming down to the right of North Gulley can be brutal.

Yeah, did that only once.

I did all the gullies in a day in the early 80s when I was still an ice climber..  We free soloed everything except for the bulge on Damnation.

My ice climbing career ended when I got avalanched out of Diagonal.  Lucky to be alive.  Be careful! 

zimick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

As Nick has rightfully pointed out above under current conditions it would be tough descents. I’ve done it a few different ways ( first in late 70’s!) and the ability to go down over snow/ice made it fun….

Good luck if you go!

Eric Engberg · · Westborough, MA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Edge wrote:

Looks like I did the circuit just over 39 years ago. I remember it dancing around the freezing point with mist down low and flurries up high, very limited visibility.  The 6 hours listed was my time from the Harvard Cabin and back. It’s a fun objective!

Down Damnation - that's ballsy with that gear - although I do remember my Bird gave me a lot of (mis guided) confidence

Very cool notes! did you down climb that steep bulge on damnation or find a way around it? 

Eric Engberg · · Westborough, MA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Edge wrote:

That gear got me up Repentance, Cilley-Barber, the Frendo Spur, Brenda Spur, Les Courtes…

Nothing wrong with that gear. 

Got me up Les Courtes too - long time ago...

Edge, its the screws that really stank...  the tools were pretty good.  I still break out my big blue Chounard ax occasionally. 

Its all about the conditions..  Good job BTW.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Hutington Gullies in a day (car to car)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started