Mountain Project Logo

Lincoln Woods/Gunks bouldering

Original Post
Troy Tetreault · · Lake Placid · Joined Mar 2021 · Points: 260

Anyone from these two areas have conditions for these spots? With the latest warm spell I figured there'd be some boulders w/o snow. Let me know!

B G · · New England · Joined May 2018 · Points: 41

Southeast New England is snow free and balmy warm. Get after it

Edit: No snow in Rhode Island

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1
B G wrote:

Southeast New England is snow free and balmy warm. Get after it

? Not true

This was from Minnewaska yesterday.
The Trapps area has significantly less snow, and there is ZERO snow in New Paltz. It's quite strange right now.
There are people doing full ascents ice climbing Gelsa and people trad climbing all over too.
Chances are the rock is dry but there could be snow on the ground in a lot of spots. 

Arnav V · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 40

Most of the boulders at the gunks aren't icy at all, but the first 5 minutes of the approach has some ice on the carriage road -- at least as of the Monday three days prior. I was glad to have microspikes. There were some boulderers out that day too. 

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1

Here's a photo from the trapps from today. Wild, this is about a mile fromy previous photo at the same elevation.

Super odd conditions this week

Troy Tetreault · · Lake Placid · Joined Mar 2021 · Points: 260
gtluke wrote:

Here's a photo from the trapps from today. Wild, this is about a mile fromy previous photo at the same elevation.

Super odd conditions this week

Crazy! Great information from everyone.

B G · · New England · Joined May 2018 · Points: 41
gtluke wrote:

? Not true

This was from Minnewaska yesterday.
The Trapps area has significantly less snow, and there is ZERO snow in New Paltz. It's quite strange right now.
There are people doing full ascents ice climbing Gelsa and people trad climbing all over too.
Chances are the rock is dry but there could be snow on the ground in a lot of spots. 

This is a cool pic!

But I was talking more about southEAST New England. No snow in eastern Massachusetts or Rhode Island

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Lincoln Woods/Gunks bouldering"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started