Mountain Project Logo

Patagonia travel questions and answers: Look here

Original Post
Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,034

I wanted to start a thread for all things travel related for the 21-22 winter Patagonia season. With the new Covid variant, rules keep changing and I am hoping this thread will be a way we can help each other, figure things out together, and spread current correct information. I would love to hear from any locals or anyone who has already traveled this season who can explain the current situation, requirements, or the experience you had.

Here is the "official" response from Chile:  cl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-i…

And from Argentina:  ar.usembassy.gov/covid-19/

To my understanding:

-Must be fully vaxxed and take a pcr test prior to flight

-Land travel between Argentina and Chile is still closed. Rumor is they will open the border January 1st. Possible to fly between Buenos Aires and Santiago

-There is a quarantine upon arrival to Chile. I read somewhere that starting January 1st they were going to lift the quarantine requirement but that was before omicron. I haven't been able to find updated information. You must stay in Santiago for your quarantine and you will be paying out of pocket.

-You must take another pcr test when arriving in Chile

-Chile will track you by email for 10 days following your arrival

According to ecocamp.travel/blog/now-bes…

Updated November 29th, 2021

Dear Traveler,

As of December 1st , 2021 all persons regardless of their citizenship, must undergo a quarantine for 5 days or until a negative result of the PCR or antigen mandatory test performed upon arrival to Chile is obtained. You may wait for the PCR test result at your final destination, either in Santiago or another city, connecting by a direct domestic flight. Passengers shall pay for the PCR or antigen test.

Together with the above mentioned, it is mandatory to comply with the following requirements:

To have a negative PCR, taken 72 hours before departure to Chile, counting from the last boarding on flights with stopovers.

To have received a complete vaccination program, which you must validate before entering Chile at mevacuno.gob.cl to obtain a mobility pass, which becomes active after the mandatory confinement. Vaccines must be those approved by the Chilean Public Health Institute (ISP), the World Health Organization (WHO), the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the European Medicines Agency (EMA). Please be aware that validation could take up to 30 days and you have to complete this not before 45 days before your arrival to Chile. Check here steps to follow.

Fill out the “Affidavit for Travelers” form online, up to 48 hours before departure, in which you will provide your contact and health information and your travel details. This form will issue a QR code as a means of verification. This form is available at c19.cl

To have medical insurance with a minimum coverage of USD 30,000, which covers any expenses caused by Covid-19.

For 14 days after you enter the country, you will receive a follow-up form sent daily to your email. Timely completion is mandatory.

Foreigners as well as Chilean and Non-Chilean residents may enter Chile by air through the airports in Santiago, Iquique and Antofagasta.

If you are travelling with kids, please be aware that from 6 years old they must have a complete vaccination program validated before entering Chile.

Also as of December 1st, 2021the entry of non-resident foreigners who have been, for the last 14 days in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini and Mozambique will be suspended.

Border crossing will remain closed for at least 15 days more.

Some Questions I have:

-I read you can take a PCR test at the santiago airport upon arrival. What is the cost? I read a concerning travel blog recently in which the author said they saw PCR tests at the airport for $600. This was in Canada though.

-How does the 10 day tracking in Chile work? If planning to go somewhere remote like Cochamo, you wont have email access

Please post up questions, answers, and personal experience. I will update the OP with up to date information as I receive it. My partner flies Jan 1st and I fly to Santiago January 5th. I will post my experience and updates when I arrive.

So whos planning on going this season!? 

Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,034

How to get to Torres Del Paine and El Chalten:

As far as Torres del Paine and El Chalten go: my understanding is the border for land travel is currently closed so you would have to pick one side or the other. Typically travel to those 2 destinations look like this

From Chile:

Fly from Santiago to Puerto Natales. You will access Torres Del Paine from Puerto Natales. If you want to go to El Chalten from there you would take a bus from Puerto natales to El Calafate (you will cross the border) then you will take another bus from El Calafate to El Chalten. If you nail the logistics this can be achieved in 2-3 days with a stay in a hostel in either puerto natales or el calafate.

From Argentina:

Fly from Buenos Aires to El Calafate. Bus from El Calafate to El Chalten. To get to Torres Del paine from El Chalten see above and reverse order.

I've only done this from the Chilean side. Was fairly straightforward just took a lot of time and catching buses are stress full as they can be sold out in advance as it is the busy summer season. I believe I used busbud.com to book the bus.

Its also worth noting that is common for climbers to fly into the Argentina side, climb around the Frey and Bariloche zone, and if a weather window opens up, take the overnight bus to El Chalten from Bariloche.

Will Helmetag · · Vermont · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks for your post, Thomas. I know less than you about the whole situation, but will continue researching. I was planning on heading down mid/late January, but may pull the plug due to the logistical nightmare as it stands. I am standing by until I know more.

Totally hear ya Will. I bought my ticket a week before Omicron was announced. Pretty stressed about the whole thing but my partner and I decided today to just commit and see what happens. Basically I only have my international flight booked. If I can get some hard facts that there will be no quarantine beginning january 1st, I would book my domestic flight and hostel. 

Anyway if you are flexible, you might be able to ride it out to January and book something last minute. Who knows you might get lucky and the airlines might be desperate to sell tickets. Cochamo is magical if you've never been. 

Kevin Heinrich · · AMGA Rock Guide · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 286

You will also need a "Mobility Pass" (basically a proof of vaccination) according to the US Embassy needs to be done within 45 days of travel but also might take 4 weeks to get (?!) anyway, link to that in the first link in the first post. You'll need your passport and vaccination card.

EDIT: My confirmation email says I should get the result in a few days. Which is great cause I misspelled my name and will probably have to do it again  

Anna Janecek · · Seattle · Joined May 2016 · Points: 6

Hey! Just wanted to add my understanding. It seems like the mandatory quarantine for travelers is only if you do not have a mobility pass. Was there a particular place you saw a quarantine mentioned? This is where I’m pulling the info:

https://cl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Individual travel may be limited in certain places: 

https://www.gob.cl/coronavirus/pasoapaso/

Based on my limited spanish ability puerto montt seems to be a level 2 and will transition to more lax rules this week, with level 2 looking more like late lockdown (things are open but distancing required, masks, no large gatherings).

edit: I clearly struggle with English reading comprehension in addition to spanish. You guys are right. 

This is what I saw at the embassy link.

Grant Janecek · · Seattle WA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
  • Travelers will receive a daily health survey from the Ministry of Health for 10 days after arrival. The completion of this daily survey is mandatory.

This seems like it might be the trickiest to navigate if you are planning on heading straight for the valley 

Hey Anna and Grant! Are y'all in Sedona? I'll be working on logistics today on my computer if y'all are around and want to chat logistical beta. Also climbing at the waterfall next couple days. LMK! Are you planning on cochamo? 

Erin Fitz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Wow thank you all for creating this thread!!  Very helpful :)  I am currently looking into all of this as well and will share if I find any more info!  

If anyone is interested in Cochamó specific logistical beta, shoot me a message and I'll send you an in depth write up I made.

Stephan Blaskovics · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2021 · Points: 0

Hey! All you hopeful international climbers in the dreadful time of deadly Hispanic beers that occasionally rebrand as US based airline corporations or not so creative autobots. I made the trek to chile this winter despite the prohibitively difficult customs logistics and a few people reached out to me to post my experience so y’all have an idea of what it takes to get down here. Saddle up.

Step one, get your sh*t together early. To do most anything here you NEED a mobility pass (vaccine passport). Without it, you can’t travel more than 200km from the airport and you’ll have to quarantine in an overpriced hotel where you’ll survive on little but empanadas to be delivered and the occasional sparkling mineral water (rrrrrico). WITH a mobility pass you only have to quarantine for five days BUT when you get to the airport in Santiago, they stick a magic wand so far up your nose it hits your cerebellum and bippity boppity boo as soon as that PCR test comes back negative you’re free to go (one-two days). My mobility pass took almost four weeks to process so that’s what I mean by get your sh*t together early. Only catch is that you can’t apply for the mobility pass greater than 45 days before you’re intended departure to Chile.

Next up, buy your flight, there are few specific airports that are able to process international travelers so make sure you check the embassy website and buy a flight to the right airport.

As the stoke builds watching your departure grow closer and closer you may push some of your prep until the last few days, don’t do this (I did). You must have an international insurance policy covering you up to 30k (and a piece of paper to prove it), a RT PCR test result, and a completed affidavit BEFORE you board your final flight from where ever you are to Chile. Here’s the part I missed: you need to have your result of the PCR test before you board the flight. They say you can take it max 72 hours before your flight, I would suggest hitting that max to insure you have your result in time. The affidavit will be your key so all of these documents will be linked to it including your passport and this will be how the country keeps track of you.

Finally, if you’ve jumped through all of these hoops you will have on final challenge…you must chop down the mightiest tree in the forest WITH a herring. Just kidding, fill out a self report symptom form online. It is a link that’s sent to your email every day for 10 days asking you about how you’re feeling.

People wear their masks here so fall in line and you won’t get harassed by police or locals. Weather’s beautiful! Hope to see you down here 

one last tip, make all your reservations in advance, everything is reduced capacity so campgrounds, hostels, burros, everything may be booked up. In general, as a universal tip… get your sh*t together early. 

Stephan! Thank you so much for posting this. Few questions if you don't mind:

-Are you paying for the PCR test at the airport in Santiago? If so, how much?

-Did you opt to stay in a hotel or the bum around the airport?

-Did Chile check in on you at all during this process? Mostly asking in regards to the 10 day follow up emails. I assume its just like an automated email with generic health querstions

-Are you headed to Cochamo?

Thanks!!

Stephan Blaskovics · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2021 · Points: 0

Yes of course, 

so I did not pay for the test in Santiago.

In terms of quarantine, you cannot take public transit at all or private transportation IF the trip is longer than three hours. I was stressed as heck when I finally got through security and my plan was to go to viña del mar so I just dealt with the bill for the taxi because it was only two hours. i think your best option would be to quarantine near the airport in a sanitary hotel (i would just call them to see if they can accommodate a quarantine, some can and some can’t but they don’t advertise it on their website) and take public transit after that if you’re headed to a location within 200km of the airport. This is kind of complicated but in order to travel more than 200km from the airport by bus, train, or plane- you need to have your mobility pass. The mobility pass will be suspended not until YOU receive your negative pcr result and can end your quarantine, but once the government does and processes it (usually an additional day or so).

They will not let you bum around the airport, they did not check on me but if you were not in compliance with the quarantine and they showed up for whatever reason I would expect to be deported. As for the ten day self survey, it’s an online form they send you via email everyday with a reminder, this form is linked to your passport so I would expect that if you were out of compliance they might flag your passport.

And yes, I’m headed to cochamo, I just got my reservation approved and I should be there within a week and staying for four weeks.

Cochamo specific stuff: they are at a reduced capacity in la junta because of covid and are strict about limiting the number of people that can come so if you or anyone reading this post is planning on going, I would apply for your reservation as early as you can. Alsooooo the only way for us gringos to pay (they expect the full amount for your stay in advance) is through pay pal so get your account and payment info dialed well in advance BEFORE applying for a reservation. Once they approve your application for reservation you only have two days to pay in full before they cancel your reservation and as I learned it can take up to five days to have your payment info on pay pal approved. 

On PCR testing on arrival in Chile.

Free testing on arrival according to:

https://www.nuevopudahuel.cl/covid-19-en?language=en

upon arrival in Chile, the Chilean health authority will perform a free PCR test on all passengers and will indicate an estimated response time with the results.

Results in 4 hours for CLP$35.000 (~USD$40) in the airport:

https://get.genosur.com/en-us/pcr_en_aeropuerto

Waiting for results:

**Passengers may wait for their PCR test results at the airport in Santiago or at the declared address, hotel, or residence in the destination city, either in Santiago or another city, connecting by a direct domestic flight.

https://www.chile.travel/en/traveltochileplan/

Seems to suggest the wait may not be that long? Although I don't think they'd love you waiting in airport for days. I assume you will have to declare a location that you will be for the quarantine period so probably best to have a hotel booked. Nice to see you could connect domestically before quarantine.

Kevin Heinrich wrote:

On PCR testing on arrival in Chile.

Free testing on arrival according to:

https://www.nuevopudahuel.cl/covid-19-en?language=en

Results in 4 hours for CLP$35.000 (~USD$40) in the airport:

https://get.genosur.com/en-us/pcr_en_aeropuerto

Waiting for results:

https://www.chile.travel/en/traveltochileplan/

Seems to suggest the wait may not be that long? Although I don't think they'd love you waiting in airport for days. I assume you will have to declare a location that you will be for the quarantine period so probably best to have a hotel booked. Nice to see you could connect domestically before quarantine.

We will be flying out tomorrow and plan to fly same day to Puerto Varas.

Will report back how that goes and how long the PCR test takes. 

Good luck! Please report how it goes.

Did you buy your domestic flight and hostel in Puerto varas or are you waiting until you clear pcr test?

My thought was to wait for pcr in airport before booking anything else. Good to know that 4 hour turnaround for $40. Get your shit together America! $160 here in Vegas

Look forward to hearing how it goes Grant. I'll be a couple days behind you! Are you staying at a hostel in Puerto Varas? If so I'm curious if they mind people waiting for testing results there.

Thomas,

We decided to just book plane tickets to Puerto Varas. We are planning on putting the Puerto Varas address in the affidavit.

We made it to Puerto Varas!!

Here are a few things to note:

Have all the documentation ready; insurance, affidavit, negative PCR, and mobility pass. 

If you plan to do a COVID test at the airport before departing for Chile make sure to leave time. We were required to show all documentation, including affidavit(requires COVID test) on the first leg within the US. 

The PCR test once you land in Santiago is free. Basically you get shuttled from the plane through the testing center before you head through customs. We got results within 30-40 mins, and there were a lot of people in line. Also be prepared for a brain biopsy test.

We left ourselves 4 hours between arrival in Santiago and our flight departing to puerto Varas. I would recommend a bit more time if we were doing it again. showing proof of entry, testing, and customs took more than two hours. If any one piece took longer we probably would not have made our flight.

We are not sure if skyairlines is requiring proof of negative test before boarding. I.e you can’t check in online. Our mobility passes hadn’t updated online, but we showed proof of taking the test and test results. at the bag counter and had no issues.

Since landing in Puerto Varas no one has asked to see mobility passes. However, everyone is wearing masks, even when walking down streets. Stores require hand sanitizing and a temp check.

Safe travels everyone. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Grant Janecek wrote:

We made it to Puerto Varas!!

Here are a few things to note:

Have all the documentation ready; insurance, affidavit, negative PCR, and mobility pass. 

If you plan to do a COVID test at the airport before departing for Chile make sure to leave time. We were required to show all documentation, including affidavit(requires COVID test) on the first leg within the US.

The PCR test once you land in Santiago is free. Basically you get shuttled from the plane through the testing center before you head through customs. We got results within 30-40 mins, and there were a lot of people in line. Also be prepared for a brain biopsy test.

We left ourselves 4 hours between arrival in Santiago and our flight departing to puerto Varas. I would recommend a bit more time if we were doing it again. showing proof of entry, testing, and customs took more than two hours. If any one piece took longer we probably would not have made our flight.

We are not sure if skyairlines is requiring proof of negative test before boarding. I.e you can’t check in online. Our mobility passes hadn’t updated online, but we showed proof of taking the test and test results. at the bag counter and had no issues.

Since landing in Puerto Varas no one has asked to see mobility passes. However, everyone is wearing masks, even when walking down streets. Stores require hand sanitizing and a temp check.

Safe travels everyone. 

A brain biopsy test?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Patagonia travel questions and answers: Look here"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.