Mountain Project Logo

La macheta colombia

Original Post
Saaraa · · Boulder CO · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

My husband and I are thinking about heading to bogota for a week and a half and climbing in la macheta and hiking other days.  Has anyone been there and can fill me in on weather this time of year, rock quality, ease of driving to and from there from bogota.  Is driving safe? In Xmas time should we expect everything to cost more in bogota? I’m sure it does thx

Josh Cook · · CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 3,339

Hey Saaraa,

Macheta is fine this time of year -- a little hot, but you can always find shade. Driving depends on your tolerance level for chaos. Leaving Bogota is the worst part of the drive because of the traffic. Once you get out of the city, it's pretty straightforward to get there. Make sure you have cash to pay the tolls and the parking fee once you get to Las Rocas del Paraiso (the property that you access the climbing from). You can rent cabañas in Macheta itself if you are looking to stay there a few days.

The rock quality is generally pretty good in Mache, though just about everything in the Front Range is better. Still, Mache has its je nais se quois. If you're around the area, it's worth climbing in Suesca a few days too. And if you have a high clearance vehicle there is a new climbing spot in the region called Uguatá which is also quite good. Feel free to send me a DM for more beta. I live in Bogota and am happy to help. 

Saaraa · · Boulder CO · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Hey! Thx for all the beta,  we are prob heading to San Luis Potosína instead now lol…easier to plan

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "La macheta colombia"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.