Mountain Project Logo

Yet another 'Which Red Rock route' question

Original Post
MattH · · CO / NM / ME · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,227

I'll be in Vegas the week of December 6th for non-climbing purposes and my GF and I are hoping to sneak in one climbing day, so I'm trying to make it count with a classic RR multipitch. I wanted to get some input on which routes will be climbable depending on the temps in Vegas. My current shortlist is:

- Dream of Wild Turkeys/Sour Mash

- Unimpeachable Groping

- Crimson Chrysalis

With Olive Oil/Birdland/Armatron/Jubilant Song as cold-weather backups.

I'm wondering how the 3 I mentioned fare in various temps. At what point should I head to the cold weather cliffs? Will CC be a total write-off weather-wise in a few weeks time? 

It looks like the forecast is consistently in the low 60s for the high this week and next, but I'm assuming it'll dip into the 40/50s for highs soon.

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

First 3 will likely be cold, but then again I am a wimp that's bailed off crimson in october due to cold......

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

Gonna get a little nerdy about sun exposure here.

I climbed Unimpeachable Groping on Oct. 19 this year. Sunrise was at 102° that day. We got on the climb first thing and were in the sun the whole way.

Sunrise on Dec. 6 this year is at 118°. I don't think that extra bit to the south is going to cause another formation to cast shade on the route, so it'll probably be in full sun all morning that time of year as well. Black Velvet will be in the shade, as will Crimson Chrysalis.

So of the 3 climbs you're targeting, I'd lean toward Unimpeachable Groping. It's also really great climbing the whole way.

Fun in the sun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Yet another 'Which Red Rock route' question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started