Mountain Project Logo

Best/Hardest OW in RRG

Original Post
Alex Fyfe · · Mother Earth · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 55

Hey guys not sure if this is exactly the right forum for this post so I can post it in another as well. But I am headed to the Red River Gorge for about a week and I need to vent some suffering LOL so what would y'all say is the best/favorite and or the hardest OW in the Red River Gorge?

Thanks

Fyfe

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 1,065
Alex Fyfe wrote:

Hey guys not sure if this is exactly the right forum for this post so I can post it in another as well. But I am headed to the Red River Gorge for about a week and I need to vent some suffering LOL so what would y'all say is the best/favorite and or the hardest OW in the Red River Gorge?

Thanks

Fyfe

The Inhibitor is a great time. Only one move of hard offwidth, but it counts! I'd like to think that I'm well-versed in that style of climbing, but I whipped on a #6 pulling out of the squeeze into the rattly fists.

Indian Creek Wall is stacked with wyde roofs but as of last week, the road was closed with surly construction workers actively doing stuff.

F r i t z wrote:

The Inhibitor is a great time. Only one move of hard offwidth, but it counts! I'd like to think that I'm well-versed in that style of climbing, but I whipped on a #6 pulling out of the squeeze into the rattly fists.

Indian Creek Wall is stacked with wyde roofs but as of last week, the road was closed with surly construction workers actively doing stuff.

Radical thanks homie. Hopefully the road opens up a little bit before I'm out of there cuz wide roofs are kind of my favorite.

Garrett Hopkins · · Baraboo, Wi · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 50

Burden of Dreams is siiiiicccckkkk 

Rob Owens · · Columbus, NC · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 538

Yuk on Long Wall is brutal.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105868048/yuk

Andrew C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I second yuk. Super good squeeze, pm me if you want gear beta, I worked my way up it a few times, never coming close to clean..

If the road opens up back to IC and .12 roofs arent your thing. Muscle beach was my favorite go to for #3+ sized cracks. Kinda a mix of deep hands/fists and ow technique for the feet. But they are all great out there. 

Oh, 12s are your jam.. bring a bicycle and ride out to IC. 

I'm not sure where the closure is up to, but if it's at the split there past the bridge. You can get to pistol ridge. Crouching tiger and hidden dragon looked awesome.

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 1,065
Andrew C wrote:

Oh, 12s are your jam.. bring a bicycle and ride out to IC. 

I'm not sure where the closure is up to, but if it's at the split there past the bridge. You can get to pistol ridge. Crouching tiger and hidden dragon looked awesome.

A friend of mine investigated during working hours and got shut down by Bubba Joe et al. He said it's closed at the first creek crossing, which is where the construction trailer is parked.

F r i t z wrote:

A friend of mine investigated during working hours and got shut down by Bubba Joe et al. He said it's closed at the first creek crossing, which is where the construction trailer is parked.

Bubba and the gang strikes again.... 

I bet bubba doesnt work on the weekends, just saying 

Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,059

When doves cry

Hey guys i appreciate the responses.

So the road to IC was still closed so while I was there I hoped on When doves cry, Yuk, and hidden dragon. All stellar rigs worth fighting through. 

Thanks again.

David Smith · · Huntington, WV · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 7

Any update on when the road to IC might be open? Was thinking about heading out there this weekend. Thanks!

Brandon C · · Cincy, OH · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 240
David Smith wrote:

Any update on when the road to IC might be open? Was thinking about heading out there this weekend. Thanks!

Early 2022, according to forest service website.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Best/Hardest OW in RRG"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started