Mountain Project Logo

Arkansas Conditions

Original Post
Thomas Worsham · · Youngstown, OH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 85

Can anyone provide beta on rock conditions after consistent rain like we have been getting? I am thinking about heading down this weekend but have never climbed in Arkansas.

JD Borgeson · · Little Rock, AR · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 2,064

Should be great this weekend for 90% of the climbing.  Only walls that get a lot of runoff will be wet (like the warm up wall at hudson, or the west side of Sam's).  Where are you trying to go?

Thomas Worsham · · Youngstown, OH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 85

Not sure? I have never climbed in Arkansas so recommendations are always welcome! My partner and I climb moderate sport and easy trad if that helps.

JD Borgeson · · Little Rock, AR · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 2,064

Based on all you've said, and you've probably already heard this, but horseshoe canyon is probably the place to be for your first time in AR.  It is by far the place to go for moderate to easy sport climbs, and has some stellar cracks in the 5.9-10a range.  The downside to horseshoe is that it gets a bit crowded and doesnt feel very 'wild', but the quality and quantity of routes is unmatched in the state.

This is all based on your tag of coming from Columbia, MO.  Jamestown looks like it is slightly further, but manageable.  I would consider it horseshoe's little brother.  Definitely smaller and not much trad, but lots of moderate sport and much less crowded, usually.

Jon C · · Louisiana · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 2
Thomas Worsham wrote:

Not sure? I have never climbed in Arkansas so recommendations are always welcome! My partner and I climb moderate sport and easy trad if that helps.

I'm finally back in the gym (post-vax) down in the Louisiana flatlands, and 90% of my stoke is daydreaming about returning to HCR sometime this fall. It's such a rad place for the 5.8-10 sport range.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Arkansas Conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started