Mountain Project Logo

Splitters in Montana! Go get 'em!

Original Post
Keith Wood · · Elko, NV · Joined May 2019 · Points: 480

I ran across this photo in a very old geology report, which shows some cool looking splitters in Eagle sandstone in Montana. 

The location is given as the mouth of Dog Creek, which empties into the Missouri River from the south, two miles downriver from where the the Judith River joins the Missouri. Sure enough there is a Dog Creek there. I don't live anywhere near this, but perhaps someone in search of an adventure might take a walk up this canyon and grab a couple cool lines. This is from USGS Bulletin 257, published in 1905, available from the USGS as a pdf.
Nathan Bilthuis · · Demotte IN · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 35

The hero we don’t deserve

Kevin O · · Midwestern Refugee, Bozeman… · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0
Michael Bee · · NorCal · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 296
Kevin O wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/107978811

Big Eagle Feather

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8162974,-108.6840131,3a,15y,197.94h,98.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTcx2D9PpUTq0_nj0ln8qrw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DTcx2D9PpUTq0_nj0ln8qrw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D170.30702%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

That ^^^  is a link for Google Street View of Big Eagle Feather. It isn't the same formation/crag as the original post about the USGS picture of the sandstone. 

The USGS report describes the sandstone pictured above to be extremely fossiliferous - containing a bunch of fossils. Typically, that makes for a pretty chossy sandstone. I'm still digging on this one and excited to see more about the formation. 

Keith Wood · · Elko, NV · Joined May 2019 · Points: 480
Michael Bee wrote:

The USGS report describes the sandstone pictured above to be extremely fossiliferous - containing a bunch of fossils. Typically, that makes for a pretty chossy sandstone. I'm still digging on this one and excited to see more about the formation. 

I think the outcrop shown in the picture is probably part of the hundred feet of cross bedded sandstone described on page 12 of the report, rather than the fossiliferous part. The smooth surfaces would not be typical of fossiliferous rock, so it's probably OK.

Marilyn Gracia · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2021 · Points: 0

Thanks for sharing, I am very impressed with your post.

advanced md

Dan Bachen · · Helena, MT · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 1,123

As someone who has spent a fair amount of time wandering Montana’s great sandstone deposits I may be able to provide some relevant information for anyone who treks into the Breaks in search of this future Indian Creek. First, a light touch should be used when developing or even climbing our sandstone. As an errant foot or brush of clothing against the rock may create additional hand and foot holds the utmost care must be taken to avoid chipping. Second, fixed hardware of the usual diameter is frowned upon and the anchor of choice in this area are 2” diameter pipe anchored with concrete. Alternatively fence posts may be used provided the local ranchers don’t catch you removing them and letting the cows out. Third, Montana is filled with ornery critters which may impact other climbers experience. Please remove all black widows, rattle snakes, and scorpions from cracks and crevices. Finally, although the locals will probably throw you in the Missouri if you publish the route, maintaining an accurate history of development is important. Please record the name, grade, FA, length and gear for the climb. Writing it in the rock at the base should be fine, your finger and light pressure should be enough to etch deeply but the wind will likely erode it after a few years.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Splitters in Montana! Go get 'em!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started