Mountain Project Logo

EDIT: HIGHWAY 50 Closed Placerville to Tahoe /Forest service camping closed

Original Post
caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,430

Highway 50 was just closed from Placerville to Tahoe due to the Caldor fire

I just heard that all FS campgrounds are closed in CA? Maybe the forests themselves? Not sure how accurate that is, but the lovers leap campground is closed.

The new fire near highway 50 is growing, 0% contained, and raining ash. 

EDIT: This fire may significantly impact or close highway 50 in the coming days, so keep that in mind if you were thinking about heading to Tahoe area this weekend. 

Russ Walling · · Redacted Sucks!! · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 1,221

Forests are closed because nobody is raking them.  Can’t get workers since they are making more on unemployment.

Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,027
caughtinside wrote:

I just heard that all FS campgrounds are closed in CA? Maybe the forests themselves? Not sure how accurate that is, but the lovers leap campground is closed.

The new fire near highway 50 is growing, I contained, and raining ash. 

I wasn't able to find official confirmation of forest or state wide campground closures. Several were evacuated (Pi Pi and Capps crossing) due to the Caldor fire. It would not surprise me if an official statement was not forthcoming forbidding camping until the fire danger abates in at least the El Dorado national forest. Unconfirmed (but super probable) speculation is that the Caldor fire was started by an illegal campfire. 

Nathan Doyle · · Gold Country, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 47

It could potentially go South and close highway 88 at some point as well (it was expected to move south last night, but it went North instead.) 

All back to school nights in Amador have been canceled, all the way down to Ione Jr High, as a precautionary measure.

Although the fire moved North, and no notices are in place (at time for writing; 3:30 PM Tuesday, August 17, 2021 (PDT)) for Pioneer and the Buckhorn areas (Mace Meadows. Cooks Station etc.), I have friends moving heavy equipment down the hill and being fairly proactive to get get a jump on things, just in case things shift this way.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/

Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,027

The El Dorado National Forest Service representative at the 5 pm Caldor Fire town hall meeting, stated that they are considering a forest wide closure. 

grubbers · · West Shore · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0
Bobby Hutton wrote:

Unconfirmed (but super probable) speculation is that the Caldor fire was started by an illegal campfire. 

This is why we can’t have nice things. 

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Russ Walling wrote:

Forests are closed because nobody is raking them.  Can’t get workers since they are making more on unemployment.

No doubt. Our in tune leaders just approved $15 an hour for firefighters. $600 a week to put your life on the line. What a deal. 

We should be paying people to work instead of paying them to sit at home. An extra $300 a week for a firefighter would at least get them up to $22.50. Much more reasonable although still too low.

Todd Berlier · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 432

looks like all Eldorado National Forest is closed:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/eldorado/alerts-notices/?aid=68436

Tony L · · San Carlos · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 741

Mandatory evacuation all up and down 50, including Kyburz and Pollock Pines. 

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article253570194.html

Closure map

Crag MonsterDouche · · Big Saint James Island · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Lame. 

Salamanizer suchoski · · Janesville Ca. · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 8,054

Sitting here in Lassen County, enjoying the heavy smoke I’ve been breathing for the past 1.5 months while watching Air Attack units aggressively bomb the fire which is 3 miles from my house, I gotta say… 

Welcome to the party!!! 

40% cuts in CalFire budget.
Reduction of 1,500 firefighters.
Backstabbing deals to shortchange fire victims in order to ensure PG&E’s financial success.
The list goes on and on… 

Don’t care who you vote for, just don’t vote for Newsom. California won’t survive.

BEFORE…

And AFTER..!

Brandon R · · CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 84
Salamanizer suchoski wrote:

Backstabbing deals to shortchange fire victims in order to ensure PG&E’s financial success.
The list goes on and on… 

Don’t care who you vote for, just don’t vote for Newsom. California won’t survive.

Seems to be some other opinions on the matter worth reading: https://www.fireengineering.com/leadership/ca-firefighter-union-withholds-support-for-newsom-on-recall-citing-pay-cuts/#gref

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Crag MonsterDouche wrote:

Lame. 

What, exactly, do you feel is lame?

Spopepro O. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

The list goes on and on… 

I try to stay out of politics here for my own personal sanity, but I’ve seen this a few places and people need to know this is misplaced blame.

The CA budget process this year was wild. There was something in the order of 60 billion in excess revenue from projections. This year there was unprecedented agreement in the budget conference committee (where the assembly and senate duke it out, and rarely have consensus). So what should happen when you have a politically vulnerable governor, a unified legislature, and tons of money? You’d expect the legislature to call the shots. What happened: gov Newsom office got nearly everything they wanted. I’m still scratching my head over how.

So sure, hate the job Newsom is doing… but this one is totally on the legislature. They had the power and punted. You should ask your local rep why. They are currently in-between sessions right now and should be in their home areas. I’m sure they’d love to hear from you. 

Well, I agree for the most part. It’s not Newsoms fault per-say. Mostly frustrated with his back door deals and support of PG&E’s pocketbook, while screwing the victims of our most recent fires. He’s a creep, totally corrupt and incompetent to the core. But my personal feelings about the guy don’t matter. What matters is that we begin to do something about this mess and not just put our hands up and blame it on global warming. Not going to happen with the current looser in office.

And the firefighters unions, they back him because democratic leaders have a history of punishing the unions that don’t. They know California isn’t going to elect a Republican, so they go with the safe bet. The increases to their budget is too little, too late and simply a buyout because he’s up for recall.

All that ranting BS aside, sugarloaf is currently on fire, Phantom Spires will probably burn tomorrow and the leap will likely burn sometime this week. Worse than all that, are the hundreds of homes and businesses that will be lost along the way, and the thousands of people who are being displaced because of it. I’ve been active in forest restoration and fire management for years. It’s time we come together as California Citizens and Americans to handle our grossly mismanaged forests, before there are none left. 

Well, I agree for the most part. It’s not Newsoms fault per-say. Mostly frustrated with his back door deals and support of PG&E’s pocketbook, while screwing the victims of our most recent fires. He’s a creep, totally corrupt and incompetent to the core. But my personal feelings about the guy don’t matter. What matters is that we begin to do something about this mess and not just put our hands up and blame it on global warming. Not going to happen with the current looser in office.

And the firefighters unions, they back him because democratic leaders have a history of punishing the unions that don’t. They know California isn’t going to elect a Republican, so they go with the safe bet. The increases to their budget is too little, too late and simply a buyout because he’s up for recall.

All that ranting BS aside, sugarloaf is currently on fire, Phantom Spires will probably burn tomorrow and the leap will likely burn sometime this week. Worse than all that, are the hundreds of homes and businesses that will be lost along the way, and the thousands of people who are being displaced because of it. I’ve been active in forest restoration and fire management for years. It’s time we come together as California Citizens and Americans to handle our grossly mismanaged forests, before there are none left. 

I'm not seeing Sugarloaf on fire. There is a spot fire about a mile east of the town of Kyberz, on the north side of 50, however. 

Of course, it could make another jump across 50 very soon, but I've only seen the one spot.

What source are you using?

Caltopo.com… 

Their GOES Live feature shows up to date satellite heat signatures. From the looks of it, Phantom Spires is already burning too.  Some of the heat signatures are from the smoke plumes, but with so much red and orange, and the way this fire is moving, it’s not smoke.

Great resources for tracking the progress of the fires.
Ive been using this along with radio traffic to track the Dixie Fire for the past month.

Firemappers tracks heat and fire perimeters along with a bunch of other stuff. 

Flight radar. Tracks flight patterns of aircraft around the world. You can track Air Attack efforts over the fire areas. 

Live cameras. Uses Caltrans and PG&E cameras for live action  

ZoomEarth Tracks heat signatures and wind speed/direction.

Caltopo More heat signatures, but with a lot more options and more up to date tracking. 

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,585

Fire is 2.5 miles west of Strawberry Lodge and moving East in its direction fast.  If you live in Christmas Valley or along 89 in south lake, start preparing. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "EDIT: HIGHWAY 50 Closed Placerville to Tahoe /F…"