Mountain Project Logo

Fixing Delaminated tenaya shoes

Original Post
Conghui Song · · Sugar Land, TX · Joined May 2014 · Points: 10

My tenaya Tarifa got slightly delaminated after the first trip (attached some pictures). I’m thinking of fixing it myself since it’s bought couple of years back. I sent an email to tenaya asking for fixing tips a week ago but haven’t heard back. Can anyone kindly provide some tips of doing that myself? I have no experience working on shoes before.
Or is it even worth fixing? Should I just keep using them then send for resold?

Mike Shorts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2019 · Points: 10

Leave it, climb on, send in for resole when they need it. Trying to fix it yourself is not worth the hassle imho. Doesn’t look too bad either…

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

The first shoe already needs a resole. You can continue to use it but you'll need a toe cap if you do.

I've never found a good way to fix a delamination of climbing shoe soles. 

It also looks like your front pointing to much. Try to use the area between the big toe and ball of your foot.

Caleb Jones · · North Carolina · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I’d give Tenaya a couple of days to respond. I had a similar issue a year or two ago and they sent me a new pair for replacement within a couple of weeks. They told me to keep the pair that was delaminating so I glued it up and have both pairs still. 

tobias bundle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 123

This happened with two pairs of my Tenayas. Is this common to them? Has anyone else had this? I ended up sending both in to be resoled. 

Elijah S · · PNW · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 3,262

Like Caleb, I also had a pair of tenayas delam on me and they sent me a new pair for free. Not sure if it’s a common problem with them or not.

Thanks you guys for your suggestion. I guess I will wait for Tenaya’s response. I didn’t really expect them to replace them since they have been sitting in my closet for couple of years since the purchase.

rocknice2 wrote:

The first shoe already needs a resole. You can continue to use it but you'll need a toe cap if you do.

I've never found a good way to fix a delamination of climbing shoe soles. 

It also looks like your front pointing to much. Try to use the area between the big toe and ball of your foot.

What do you mean by using the area between the big toe and ball of my foot? 

Erroneous Publicus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 35

Barge cement.  Spread some on both sides of the delam, let it dry, then press together.  A tube of the stuff should come in the package with every pair of TC Pros. 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

Look what happened to my Tenayas! Such a bummer, I really liked them and they have a lot of rubber left but it delaminated like crazy. I thought it must have been my fault (left in hot car or something), maybe it does have something to do with the glue they’re using. I’ve never had anything like that happen with any other brand and I don’t exactly baby my shoes.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847
Conghui Song wrote:

What do you mean by using the area between the big toe and ball of my foot? 

The ball of your foot is at the base of the big toe. So basically use the long edge of the big toe.

Alright rethinking this a bit, it applies to edging predominantly. If your climbing finger cracks or pockets, then your good.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Sam Cieply wrote:

Look what happened to my Tenayas! Such a bummer, I really liked them and they have a lot of rubber left but it delaminated like crazy. I thought it must have been my fault (left in hot car or something), maybe it does have something to do with the glue they’re using. I’ve never had anything like that happen with any other brand and I don’t exactly baby my shoes.

Most of my shoes look like that. As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect the performance at all. Maybe if I were doing inverted toe hooks it might. But typical edging puts downward pressure on the rubber edge, effectively closing that little gap.

Gunkiemike wrote:

Most of my shoes look like that. As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect the performance at all. Maybe if I were doing inverted toe hooks it might. But typical edging puts downward pressure on the rubber edge, effectively closing that little gap.

I climbed in them for a little while after the delam and you’re right, you can still edge sort of. The rand is exposed and getting worn quicker, so I decided to retire them and consider resoling in the future before I destroy the rand.

tobias bundle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 123
Gunkiemike wrote:

I agree it doesn't really affect performance, however it does exponentially increase the rate of wear. Unless you are crazy careful they're going to need to get resoled soon.

Nathan Doyle · · Gold Country, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 57
Erroneous Publicus wrote:

Barge cement.  Spread some on both sides of the delam, let it dry, then press together.  A tube of the stuff should come in the package with every pair of TC Pros. 

I think it was Locker who mentioned Barge Cement before, here on MP. That's what I remember, anyway. And since he use to own or work at a resoleing business, I kind of took him as someone that knew what they were talking about. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. 

Sam Cieply wrote:

I had a pair of RA 5 years ago and didn’t have any issue. 

Julian H wrote:

That looks like they have been exposed to too much  heat.  Did you leave them in the car or in full sun? 

Delamination does affect edging on small holds. If the sole is not  glued to the rest of the shoe the sole stretches and it rolls up. 

Not that I can recall, but it’s possible. I was using them in Joshua Tree in the winter and they may have been left in a warm car at some point, not more than any of my other shoes though.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

i currently have 2 pairs of tenaya (Ra and inti) and have had many pairs over the years. none of mine have experienced this kid of delamination, even after sitting in the trunk of my car for years... (the Ra's live in my car full time).

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300
rocknice2 wrote:

That only works when the footholds are large. For thin, hard routes the OP is doing fine.

Mr Rogers · · Pollock Pines & Bay Area CA · Joined Dec 2020 · Points: 15

Barge Cement. Yellow / red can.
Clean well and scuff the surfaces before applying. Keep pressure on until dry.

K Go · · Seattle, WA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 136

Honestly that amount of delamination isn't too bad compared to some I've seen from bad resoles. Worth a shot to try and warranty them, otherwise I've had good success with this stuff reattaching the top toe patch of rubber on my solutions before, as well as other (non-climbing) shoe sole repairs that are still going strong. It's basically a flexible rubberized super glue, it's expensive but a little goes a long way and it works fantastically. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Shoe-Fix-Shoe-Glue-Instant-Professional/dp/B01G8D69FW?sa-no-redirect=1

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Fixing Delaminated tenaya shoes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started