Mountain Project Logo

How to stretch out tight shoes (tc pro)?

Original Post
JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

I've dealt with uncomfortable shoes for all of my climbing life.

I'm a size 13 street shoe, so wearing the biggest size tc pro still means I have to downsize.

Some pairs work better than others (because they're handmade and the sizing varies slightly)

Has anyone found a reliable way to stretch shoes out quickly and get them broken in to their feet without wearing them for hours/pitches?

It seems like the problem is getting worse.  Possibly my feet are still growing?  I've always had pain, but at least I could climb 20+ pitches in a day.  Now, that's not a thing... AND My big toe hurts the next day ( and sometimes multiple days) after just doing a few pitches)

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

TMA?

Chase G · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 169

In the same size as you. Why they don’t make bigger tc pros is beyond me. In my experience they sorta form to your foot after 30 pitches or so, but IMO they don’t stretch.

Wish I could recommend a comparable shoe for the size but unfortunately even with them being slightly too small they are the best shoe for climbing cracks for me. The amount of material on the upper and tongue make them more comfortable to jam in, versus like a moccasym that has only a thin layer of material on the upper. 

Cole Bellomo · · Durango, CO · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 25

Try the ice technique. Fill a couple sandwich bags with water and stuff them in your shoes. Once your shoes are totally filled up and with no gaps, stuff em in the freezer for a day or two! Works very well for stretching tight shoes out!

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
Cole Bellomo wrote:

Try the ice technique. Fill a couple sandwich bags with water and stuff them in your shoes. Once your shoes are totally filled up and with no gaps, stuff em in the freezer for a day or two! Works very well for stretching tight shoes out!

I’ve successfully used this technique to stretch the engine block of my ski boat one winter when I wanted to go from a 350 cu. in. V8 to a 390.     If it worked for me, I bet it does wonders for TC Pros. 

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Try shoe stretcher - something like this ( link to listing on amazon )
https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-Stretcher-Expander-Widener-shaper/dp/B07XK17S65
Toe box area may be stretched out with those little bumps, the whole thing gets expanded. Extra heat helps, but don't get too enthusiastic ;) 

Glen Prior · · Truckee, Ca · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I've had some luck on my shoes using the negative terminal of a AA battery. I scrape it along the inside of the shoe where the pressure point is, using a fair amount of pressure, so that the material is stretched out momentarily. As many as a couple dozen passes or more per pressure point.

John Reeve · · Durango, formely from TX · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 15

I have the same problem with the TC Pro... my feet are street-shoe size 48.

My answer: I don't climb in shoes that don't fit my feet.

Scarpa Maestros and Butora Alturas get big enough for me and both work pretty well

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
John Reeve wrote:

I have the same problem with the TC Pro... my feet are street-shoe size 48.

My answer: I don't climb in shoes that don't fit my feet.

This x1000!

Don't marry a brand or model - marry the fit.

Also, because of the rubber sole, shoes simply do not stretch in the length.

Vanilla Drilla From Manila · · Goiter, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 50
Mark Pilate wrote:

I’ve successfully used this technique to stretch the engine block of my ski boat one winter when I wanted to go from a 350 cu. in. V8 to a 390.     If it worked for me, I bet it does wonders for TC Pros. 

What in actual hêll?! How did you not crack the block?

Zachary K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 3,293

Yosemite Bum Resoles has a shoes stretching service. Not sure what techniques they use though. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Vanilla Drilla From Manila wrote:

Given the brittleness of cast iron under normal conditions, I believe the key is that it has to be real hot, like 950+ F in order for the expanding ice to stretch it. 

Mikey Schaefer · · Reno, NV · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 233

I’ve warmed up shoes in the oven and then slipped them on and worn them around the house. Obviously don’t get them too hot or the glue will get too soft and the shoes will fall apart.  

Heating up certain areas with a hair dryer may also work.

Victor Machtel · · Netherlands · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 0
JeffL wrote:

It seems like the problem is getting worse.  Possibly my feet are still growing?  I've always had pain, but at least I could climb 20+ pitches in a day.  Now, that's not a thing... AND My big toe hurts the next day ( and sometimes multiple days) after just doing a few pitches)

I don't know how old you are but yes, it may seem like your feet are getting bigger over time. This has to do with an overall sagging of muscles, bones and tendons through the years which mostly leads to middle-aged people suddenly needing either a bigger shoe size or a made-to-spec insole to support their foot arch. The latter is of course problematic in a climbing shoe. 

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674
Zachary K wrote:

Yosemite Bum Resoles has a shoes stretching service. Not sure what techniques they use though. 

Explained here: reddit.com/r/climbing/comme…

They install a larger last, warm it in a oven, let it cool with the last installed for 12 hours or so. Don't know what temps they use. I've used a shoe stretcher and 200 F.

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25
Vanilla Drilla From Manila wrote:

Rest easy, it was a joke.  The block did crack, and it was accidental.  Crazy early MN freeze up north.  

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Add me to the list of folks hoping for larger TC Pro sizes as I continue my (never-ending/life-long) quest for the perfect all-day trad shoe.  I wear size 13 to 13.5 street shoe (roughly 48s) and tried to squeeze into size 46 TCs and it was obvious they wouldn’t even come close for my relaxed needs. I rotate between Scarpa Maestros, Butora Alturas, and older Scarpa Techno-Xs, depending on the situation—all sized 48 for multipitch comfort.
Aren’t there enough of us Bigfeet yet to make it worth their while to sell some size 47 and 48 TCs? Apparently not…

: (

P. S. I mentioned this first world problem to Tommy after one of his talks in Boulder a few years ago but I guess he doesn’t have much influence in the company. ; )   …and I was just some random old dude (with big feet) in a long line of slick-young-n-fit Boulder folks (with normal feet) he was gripping’ and grinning’ that night.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Daniel Joder wrote:

I wear size 13 to 13.5 street shoe (roughly 48s)

Don't want to push any particular shoe unto anyone, but FYI - Evolv has trad shoes that have size 13.5 listed. And, there other non-trad models for bigfoots as well.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Thanks, amarius. I may give them a try at some point as the budget allows.

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Wear shopping bags over your feet and take a hot shower with your shoes on. Take them off while showering and then put them back on tighter. Repeat and then stuff them ass tight as you can with absorbent material to dry. There is a limit to these results but the whole process can be done multiple times.

If you have a specific point of pressure induced pain try adding a material to that area of your foot to pack out the leather. It’s basically the same process

Additionally, you can cut the power rand that runs around the heel. This can really help in the case of a shoe that is to short. Multiple cuts on both sides can allow for a lot of stretch. But, if the leather is strong enough you can make two cuts and just peel off the rubber rand almost entirely for the most stretch. 

Be careful and don’t hurt yourself for a specific shoe! You might end up not being able to wear your street shoes with the right injury. Haglunds deformity isn’t fun.

Dylan Valvo · · Marshall NC · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 1,861

I have severe haglunds deformity on both of my feet but love the way TCs perform. If I size up I lose some of their techy attributes so I actually size down and cut the rands and this opens up the heels for long days on route.  I’ve been doing this to other shoes for a dozen + years and it works great. I originally started doing this because I scored a bunch of shoes that were just too small for me but fresh af. It definitely increases the wiggle room and bumps up the square footage. I also did all kinds of other terrible things to make this batch of tiny shoes fit like take hot showers with them on then take them off and put big socks on then did more hot water and then would jump rope for long periods of time with them on. I even went as far as to falling asleep with wet shoes on. Give me a break I was on some pro’ boi climber shit... I would just stick to cutting the rands if you want. It could give you the stretch you need. I do this to all my TCs and this pair has been resoled many many times 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "How to stretch out tight shoes (tc pro)?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started