Mountain Project Logo

In love with Otakis, looking for a softer bouldering shoe

Original Post
Martino Finotelli · · Region BrĂ¼ssel-Hauptstadt · Joined Jun 2021 · Points: 0

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so my apologies in case I am doing something wrong!

I climb mostly outdoor, lead, and I am very happy with my Otaki (42,5 EU) and Finale (42 EU).

Now I am looking for a softer shoe, mostly for indoor bouldering, which is very good in smearing over volumes and in overhang routes.

I also want to mention that I like Otaki so much because of their quite wide toe box. Some other shoes, with narrower toe box, simply do not work for me.

I tried also Scarpa Instict (too hard) and Tenaya Oasi (too narrow toe box).

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Jason Zevenbergen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2020 · Points: 0

Skwama.

Peter T · · Boston · Joined May 2016 · Points: 16

Agreed - skwama

James M · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 65

I have Otakis and the new 5.10 Hiangles (white). I was almost concerned I got the Hiangles too small but after just one session they conformed to my foot and I can't believe how comfortable they are (and they are tight, but comfy)

They stick like they are magnetic and became my go-to try hard shoe.

42.5 otaki (mens 9.5)

43 1/3  hiangle (10.5)

street shoe 11 us mens (if that helps at all)

R 3 · · San Diego · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
James M wrote:

I have Otakis and the new 5.10 Hiangles (white). I was almost concerned I got the Hiangles too small but after just one session they conformed to my foot and I can't believe how comfortable they are (and they are tight, but comfy)

They stick like they are magnetic and became my go-to try hard shoe.

42.5 otaki (mens 9.5)

43 1/3  hiangle (10.5)

street shoe 11 us mens (if that helps at all)

Hiangles are my go to as well, but I wouldn't call them soft. The 5.10 Teams might be more the style the poster is looking for. 

Drew Alldredge · · Coronado, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Love my Otakis (rock daggers) which I wear a tight 43, for 1-2 pitch sport and crack. 

Just ordered the Skwamas for bouldering and gym- they're on sale right now for about $128 online. I ordered a half size smaller than my Otakis based on feedback from threads regarding Skwamas. Sounds like some people are ordering them a full size smaller- not trying to hijack the thread but seems like pertinent info. 

Kane Schutzman · · Virginia · Joined May 2010 · Points: 0

Great shoes!  Have enjoyed mine for the past two years climbing everything from slab granite, cracks, and hard sport - finally got thin on the rubber but lasted longer than any other shoe.  I wear a 44.5 street and use a 42 in the Otaki.

Drew Alldredge · · Coronado, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Follow up on the Skwamas: Although they look pretty aggressive out of the box, they are super sensitive and work great for slab. They're not comfortable for cracks but that's what Katanas are for.  I'm wearing them a half size smaller than my Otakis and a full size smaller than lace Katanas.

Marc Squiddo · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 15

I’ve asked the same question and answered much like others…Skwama 

Greg Steele · · SLC, UT · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 60

I find the kubo and the otaki are shoes of same shape and fit. The kubo being a softer version that with less structure also breaks in more... HT (a year later)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "In love with Otakis, looking for a softer bould…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started