Mountain Project Logo

Caught someone lying on their ticks. What to do?

Original Post
saign charlestein · · Tacoma WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,690

So I climbed a route with someone, it was cool. They flailed on every pitch but we had fun. A while later, I was wondering if the route was dry, and I looked at the recent ticks of the route to see if anyone had climbed it recently, and noticed my partner sprayed about how good the route was and that it was a redpoint (when he told me he had never climbed the route before) and the pitches he lead and sent.

Another guy told me how he flailed on a route, and same thing: looked at the route ticks to see conditions, and he ticked onsight on his ticks. 

Do people really stalk ticks that much that people have to lie about their performance, or are that self conscious? 

Would you confront the person? 

Figure it's not a big deal and move on? Whatever makes them feel good about themselves?

It makes me not want to climb with them just for being dishonest, and claiming. Kinda douchey. 

Thoughts?

Auden Alsop · · Berkeley · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 401

Who cares? They’re literally only cheating their own damn self. 

Tradiban · · 951-527-7959 · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 212

You beat me to this one. Congrats!

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Out this person and then crush kill destroy.

CRUSH KILL DESTROY!

CRUSKILLDESTROY!!!!!!!

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Who cares?

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

Spread the word around the community, establish them as liars, and hopefully they’ll move onto something more suited to their skills and passions like lawn darts. 

Chris Topher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 5

Finish him. 

Trevor Taylor · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2020 · Points: 0

Tell him how much you hate mountain project for their consistently unhelpful responses and then he will see this thread.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Full disclosure, disclosed fully years ago:

I have ticked stuff I didn't climb AT ALL. Or didn't get to the top. Or grabbed a draw. Or hanger (pinch only, fingers are dangerous). Or did some unknown route that might be this route, but who knows...

OMG, YGD, yada yada yada.

Why would I commit such a crime against the climbing community?

Because it was memorable, for some reason. 

First BIG catch belaying a sport guy outside.

Out of town MPers I graciously hosted here.

My climbing partner, FINALLY, getting his lead head back enough to do risky shit on hard stuff.

That's the route the anchor was on.....but I was messing around on everything else on the wall.

On and on.

My ticks are for me. Simple as that.

All that said?

If what people say or do bothers you, or you just don't trust them, no matter what excuse your brain feeds you? Then yeah, go with your instincts. That could save your life.

I chose to quietly avoid having a guy belay me one time, in our little group outing, for the simple reason he didn't use his seatbelt when we all loaded into his truck to drive out to the crag (he drove).

What climbers say about themselves is like grades. Kinda a starting place, to judge the route, or potential partner. It's still on you to scope the situation out, make decisions, and take responsibility for what you decide to do.

Best, Helen

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Welcome to tick stalking.

CD Transporter · · Boise, ID · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 16

I agree with Helen. My tick list is for my own use. With that in mind, go to "Account Settings" -> Click the "Private Tick List" checkbox.

CD Transporter wrote:

I agree with Helen. My tick list is for my own use. With that in mind, go to "Account Settings" -> Click the "Private Tick List" checkbox.

Or, simply be who you are. I'm pretty much as advertised, lol!

Private ticks, well, if that's what someone wants. Not me. Your (that's generic) opinion pretty much doesn't matter to me at all. 

Wanna know about me as a climber? Just ask. Nothing to hide, nothing to prove. I is what I is...take it or leave it.

That's one of the best perks of being an old lady. :-)

W K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 167

You have to duel him 1v1 in the name of honor and integrity

W K wrote:

Can we at least make it mud wrestling? Askin for a friend....

Evan LovleyMeyers · · Seattle · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 330
Old lady H wrote:

Full disclosure, disclosed fully years ago:

I have ticked stuff I didn't climb AT ALL. Or didn't get to the top. Or grabbed a draw. Or hanger (pinch only, fingers are dangerous). Or did some unknown route that might be this route, but who knows...

OMG, YGD, yada yada yada.

Why would I commit such a crime against the climbing community?

Because it was memorable, for some reason. 

First BIG catch belaying a sport guy outside.

Out of town MPers I graciously hosted here.

My climbing partner, FINALLY, getting his lead head back enough to do risky shit on hard stuff.

That's the route the anchor was on.....but I was messing around on everything else on the wall.

On and on.

My ticks are for me. Simple as that.

All that said?

If what people say or do bothers you, or you just don't trust them, no matter what excuse your brain feeds you? Then yeah, go with your instincts. That could save your life.

I chose to quietly avoid having a guy belay me one time, in our little group outing, for the simple reason he didn't use his seatbelt when we all loaded into his truck to drive out to the crag (he drove).

What climbers say about themselves is like grades. Kinda a starting place, to judge the route, or potential partner. It's still on you to scope the situation out, make decisions, and take responsibility for what you decide to do.

Best, Helen

Thank you we'll said

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205
W K wrote:

With #4 Forged Friends...to the death. 

Sofa King Watt · · Left side of the continent/… · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 2,086

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Frank Stein wrote:

With #4 Forged Friends...to the death. 

Tonight on a brand new episode of Forged in Friends...it will KEAL!

Evan LovleyMeyers wrote:

Thank you we'll said

Well, that’s just ironic.

Scott Biegert · · Belle Fourche, SD · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 71

Well as long as they don't lie about belay experience.

Steven Lee · · El Segundo, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 385
M M · · Maine · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 2

No liars ever no way, climbing aint that good.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Caught someone lying on their ticks. What to do?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started