Mountain Project Logo

Ragged Mountain Parking

Original Post
Jeff Deutsch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2007 · Points: 0

Never been to Ragged Mountain in Connecticut, but I'll be passing by there with gear and a partner soon. Looking to get a day of climbing mid-week.

From the MP page and previous discussion here, it seems like parking has been contentious. What is the current best practice for parking there? Not on the weekend, not arriving crazy early or staying after dark.

Also, if anyone could recommend some "best of" climbs in the 5.7 to 5.10- range I'd love to hit up area classics.

Thanks!

Josh Garrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Yo Jeff, its Josh. I live right across from Ragged. let me know what day you'll be here and I can give you a proper tour. You still have my cell?

Jeff Deutsch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2007 · Points: 0

Sweet! I didn't know you were so close!

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674

Park at 41°36'43.9"N 72°49'41.6"W  or  41°36'42.1"N 72°49'44.9"W

Trailhead is at about 41°36'51.1"N 72°49'41.2"W

L T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I am having trouble starting a new thread, so tacking on here...

Anyone know Ragged looks the 2nd day after a rain?  I imagine the face climbs are okay, but are the cracks still dripping wet? It's just been raining so much...How many days in Spring and Fall ( partially cloudy days)  would you wait to before leading your crack project?

Scott Sampietro · · Bloomfield, CT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 80

Usually dry enough a day after rain. Certainly two days. It probably depends on which crack you are looking at...some seep and some don't (bottom of Carey corner tends to hold moisture a while longer, subline dries pretty quickly).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Ragged Mountain Parking"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started