Mountain Project Logo

4th of July Road Conditions

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Slambo G · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 76

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I will be visiting the Front Range for a few days in mid-May and am hoping to do some spring skiing in the Indian Peaks.

In average years, when is the 4th of July road good to go? While I don’t mind skinning on the road, I’ll have limited time to ski during my visit... so the more information I can get about road conditions, the easier it will be to plan.

Happy to delete this thread once my question is answered. Thanks in advance! 

LawHous · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 481

Hey man,

Although I can't speak to specifics of the current road conditions or what it may look like in July, I can say that the area is pretty dry for this time of year. Low snowfalls in the mountains this winter have left much of the area looking grim for skiing. I would say you would likely be walking a lot of it with skis on your back. Once again, I can't speak to specifics and this is all based on my observations of the area in general. Good luck!

Jonathan S · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 176

I had an outing up there last year on May 31. The road was completely dry but still closed by the Forest Service. I saw a number of people biking the road. Frustrating, but a little typical of FS operations. The webpage for the trailhead should update the road status when it is open for the season.

Jonathan S wrote:

I had an outing up there last year on May 31. The road was completely dry but still closed by the Forest Service. I saw a number of people biking the road. Frustrating, but a little typical of FS operations. The webpage for the trailhead should update the road status when it is open for the season.

Thank you, Jonathan. I suppose I'll keep checking in on the website. I called the FS office a few times but their phone tree is so elaborate/deep that I couldn't get in touch with a real person. *facepalm*

Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 55
LawHous wrote:

Hey man,

Although I can't speak to specifics of the current road conditions or what it may look like in July, I can say that the area is pretty dry for this time of year. Low snowfalls in the mountains this winter have left much of the area looking grim for skiing. I would say you would likely be walking a lot of it with skis on your back. Once again, I can't speak to specifics and this is all based on my observations of the area in general. Good luck!

Actually the northern mountains east of the divide (which includes 4th of July rd) are right at average in terms of snow. It's the rest of CO that is suffering:

Vaughn wrote:

Actually the northern mountains east of the divide (which includes 4th of July rd) are right at average in terms of snow. It's the rest of CO that is suffering:

Yup, looks like the front Range is doing well, with the SNOTEL site nearest to the Indian Peaks (Niwot) reading well above median. Good news for spring skiing.

Edge wrote:

I live at 8100’ about 10 miles east of the Fourth of July trailhead; in the last three weeks I have measured 50” of snowfall, and the Indian Peaks received more.

I was in the woods just NW of Nederland this past weekend for a WFR course; still lots of snow in the woods there at 8200’. The Indian Peaks were mostly covered in plenty of snow, save for the east facing, wind-swept upper ridges of Audubon.  

The road gets its name from the traditional time of year it becomes passable. I’ve never personally known it to open ahead of Brainard Lake Rd, which the FS tries, usually unsuccessfully, to open for Memorial Day weekend.  I expect the road to be a muddy mess for quite some time as all that snow melts.

Interesting side note: in speaking with a 14 year member of Rocky Mountain Rescue this weekend, he said they have never had an avalanche call in Boulder County (includes Indian Peaks) in that time. Be safe & have fun!

Really great beta. Thanks, Edge. Fingers crossed I can make Indian Peaks happen. Otherwise I’ll settle for something off of US-6 I guess.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.