Mountain Project Logo

Black Canyon Conditions?

Original Post
Zach Joing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 85

Anybody been down to the Black lately?  Still pretty snowy?  Or some routes climbable?

M M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 261

Bump. Has anyone been down to the black recently, would any of the North Side wall routes be climbable?

LawHous · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 481

The North Rim road is still closed per the NPS website. South Rim Road is open and this was updated earlier this week, I believe. Guessing the road in is still choked with snow...... 

tuk tuk · · Chevy Chase, MD · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 15

North Rim road was still closed this weekend with no estimated opening date, but no snow on the road or in the canyon. I don’t think the area got hit with this past storm, so should be good to go. If any of you are free and looking for partners over the next few weekends, I’d love to link up!

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

Planning on doing the Scenic Cruise in three weeks.  Should be good to go then, right?

Will Maness wrote:

Planning on doing the Scenic Cruise in three weeks.  Should be good to go then, right?

One would think, but I can't remember a year the road was closed this late. Weird conditions this year and strange storms. You can always ski in!!

tuk tuk wrote:

North Rim road was still closed this weekend with no estimated opening date, but no snow on the road or in the canyon. I don’t think the area got hit with this past storm, so should be good to go. If any of you are free and looking for partners over the next few weekends, I’d love to link up!

So were you able to access the road? How did you approach?

tuk tuk · · Chevy Chase, MD · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 15
LawHous wrote:

So were you able to access the road? How did you approach?

Yep, the road was completely clear the whole way to the rim. You can park at the gate and walk. It’s about 4 miles 

M M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 261

Are the North Rim and South Rim walls looking dry and climbable? 

Zach Joing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 85

My buddy was jus down there last week, and said it was pretty easy getting to the north rim.  He thought US 50 was closed 

Where's Walden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 219

I'm looking for a Black partner any day now through potentially May 25. Hit me up!!! 5.10-, 5.11+, I lead, you lead, whatever. Let's send it! 65O-38O-3221

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Black Canyon Conditions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started