Mountain Project Logo

Car broken into at calico basin red springs

Original Post
Eric R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 0

My Subaru outback was broken into at red springs parking lot on 12/27/20 between 2pm-445pm. Typical smash and grab that happened during the day with many people around. Nothing was visible from outside and windows are very tinted. No climbing gear was stolen as it was with me. Please be careful there, contact me if you have any info.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Did you report it to BLM law enforcement? You should.

No, just LVMPD since we almost caught her at target using our card multiple times. She got away with fake eyelashes and eyebrow paint (And $600 of gift cards) so be on the look out for a lady with really nice eyebrows.

I will contact BLM law enforcement now. Thanks!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Good, Eric. BLM is making some effort to catch the thieves. And reporting helps them to target areas where the break-ins are most frequent.

Hopefully, your card company will eat the charges.

Thanks Scooby, yeah totally sucks. I figured we got cased... Assumed we were safe because of all the people/witnesses around. Lesson learned, be very discreet with hiding valuables and the conversations you have, especially at crowded trail heads. 

I hope this lesson helps prevent some one else from getting their stuff jacked. 

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Sucks for sure. But a bunch of people were around and stood by and watched a smash and grab? That really sucks. How do you stand by and watch that? 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,199
Eric R wrote:

Thanks Scooby, yeah totally sucks. I figured we got cased... Assumed we were safe because of all the people/witnesses around. Lesson learned, be very discreet with hiding valuables and the conversations you have, especially at crowded trail heads. 

I hope this lesson helps prevent some one else from getting their stuff jacked. 

Anymore one needs to stop somewhere beforehand organize/stash gear so when showing up at trailhead all ones does is grab their gear and go.

Allen Sanderson wrote:

Anymore one needs to stop somewhere beforehand organize/stash gear so when showing up at trailhead all ones does is grab their gear and go.

Yeah we did that kinda. But after the morning session, we came back to car and ate lunch (which required moving a bunch of stuff around to get to cooler and cook stuff), then headed back out on a whim because the stoke was super high. 

Parachute Adams wrote:

Sucks for sure. But a bunch of people were around and stood by and watched a smash and grab? That really sucks. How do you stand by and watch that? 

The parking lot was very loud when we got back to car with trucks running, music playing, kids screaming etc. And unfortunately, my alarm didn't go off. I think the broken glass sound just blended in. We asked the groups around us and everyone had no idea it was even broken into.

Whisk3rzz 1 · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2020 · Points: 0

People need to set up stings at popular spots. Once it happens a few times word will get around and ideally it will be a deterrent 

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56
Parachute Adams wrote:

I would like to know for future situations what you suggest. I don't think I have service out there so I can't call the cops. I don't think me saying something will really stop someone so brazen. What's the next step?

Ashort wrote:

I would like to know for future situations what you suggest. I don't think I have service out there so I can't call the cops. I don't think me saying something will really stop someone so brazen. What's the next step?

I cannot suggest confronting the person. The thief could be a total whack job. I don't want a good samaritan getting hurt or killed over some of my stuff. People have been killed over less. Maybe follow the person and try to get a license plate number. Tough situation. Thanks to all for the support! 

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,599
Eric R wrote:

I cannot suggest confronting the person. The thief could be a total whack job. I don't want a good samaritan getting hurt or killed over some of my stuff. People have been killed over less. Maybe follow the person and try to get a license plate number. Tough situation. Thanks to all for the support! 

This.  It's only stuff/things.  Not worth anyone's safety.

Austin R · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 2

The solution is simple: dead man switches on our cars that turn them into VBIEDs when they get broken into. If all your stuff is gone, the surrounding area may as well be too.

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I never suggested confrontation. Take a photo, video. Drive down the road until you get service( not very far from there) and call the police with info. Sure beats doing nothing.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Austin R wrote:

The solution is simple: dead man switches on our cars that turn them into VBIEDs when they get broken into. If all your stuff is gone, the surrounding area may as well be too.

Whisk3rzz 1 · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2020 · Points: 0
Austin R wrote:

I hear this is what happened in Nashville. Dude had a triple rack of totems in the back and then it was broken into and triggered a self destruct sequence 

Whisk3rzz 1 wrote:

I hear this is what happened in Nashville. Dude had a triple rack of totems in the back and then it was broken into and triggered a self destruct sequence 

There's no serious climbers in Nashville, or even driving through it on their way to climbing.  It was likely a pound of pork chops.

Not Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 210
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

This.  It's only stuff/things.  Not worth anyone's safety.

What makes you think some two bit thief is gonna be able to injure me? If I saw my van getting broken into, whoever’s doing it is gonna have their face broken into. You can take me out of New York but you ain’t taking the New Yorker out of me.

Christian Hesch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 17

I have a quad rack of totems...which means I set claymores for 270* coverage on my prius. If those don't work, the secondary thermites are timed at 12sec, those will finish em off

(edit: only posting to flex my covid relief purchases of spanish climbing goods, obviously)

Not Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 210
Christian Hesch wrote:

I have a quad rack of totems...which means I set claymores for 270* coverage on my prius. If those don't work, the secondary thermites are timed at 12sec, those will finish em off

(edit: only posting to flex my covid relief purchases of spanish climbing goods, obviously)

Do you really have a quad rack of Totes? If so that’s so cool, I wanna be your friend strictly because that’s so cool. I’m working on my second set of Totes, doubled up in blue yellow and purple right now. Totes forever.

Not Hobo Greg wrote:

What makes you think some two bit thief is gonna be able to injure me? If I saw my van getting broken into, whoever’s doing it is gonna have their face broken into. You can take me out of New York but you ain’t taking the New Yorker out of me.

Same here, if it was MY stuff.  But I aint getting sore knuckles and jail time for someone else's shit.

The idea of taking pictures/video and notifying the police, at the very least, would be helpful.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Car broken into at calico basin red springs"