Mountain Project Logo

Sportiva Sizing - Katana Lace vs. Finale

Original Post
Doug Simpson · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 136

Hi! 

Looking for advice on how I should size Katana Laces. I do not have the opportunity to try them on in person. I wear a Sportiva Finale in a 40.5 (Tight fit) and wondering how I should size the Katana Lace. I wear a US 9 / EU 43 street shoe. 

Thanks

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45

I’d go 40 for a snug fit, 39.5 for tight. I’m a size 10 street and I’m one full size above that suggestion. The heel might bite a bit at first but it will loosen. 

Steve Climber · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 402

I also went from finales to katanas and found that they fit pretty dang similar. (Ie a tight but not uncomfortable fit in the finales was about the same in the katanas)

Mitchell Mitch · · Christchurch, NZ · Joined Apr 2021 · Points: 0

Hey bump - any feedback ? I am going from a 41.5 Finale (comfort fit ) to a Katana Lace ... What size to go ? I wear a 42.5 running shoe :)  Going on Mike's post I need a 41 for a performance fit ? 

Cheers ! 

Mike K · · Las Vegas NV · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

41.5 finale(comfortable) to 41.5 Katana lace(comfortable) seems to work for me after a short break-in period.  But if I wanted a performance shoe I would go to 41 and suffer the longer break-in. However, I am not sure this would have worked for me as there was quite a bit of Achilles heel rubbing for the first 2 weeks with the 41.5s. This has completely gone away now that they are a little stretched.

Doug Simpson · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 136
Mitchell Mitch wrote:

Hey bump - any feedback ? I am going from a 41.5 Finale (comfort fit ) to a Katana Lace ... What size to go ? I wear a 42.5 running shoe :)  Going on Mike's post I need a 41 for a performance fit ? 

Cheers ! 

I ended up going to the La Sportiva factory store in Boulder and tried on a couple of sizes. Tech there recommended the 39.5, examining the fit. They do fit very snuggly and climb very well, but I can't wear them for more than a pitch at a time. I wear a 43 US10 running shoe for reference. 

So I'm wearing a 39.5 katana, 40 finale, 40.5 TC Pro. I like my climbing shoes small and my running shoes .5 size big. 

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 741

I wear 44 in Katanas and 43 in Finale I have size 11½ street shoes. The finales on me are tight but comfortable I've had them resoled twiced and use them for all day comfort.

Mitchell Mitch · · Christchurch, NZ · Joined Apr 2021 · Points: 0

Thanks everyone ! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sportiva Sizing - Katana Lace vs. Finale"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started