Mountain Project Logo

New Tick Breakdowns

Original Post
Jared Fehr · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 177

I really like the new bar graph for tick breakdowns - more spread at grades above 5.9 and a clear delineation of what kinds of routes somebody does with the color coded bar graph.  The main reason I look at this info is to see what a new partner tends to climb, and with the new setup I can clearly see trad vs sport leads at a glance.

Andy Bandos · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 760

I'm a fan too. Good upgrade. 

Jordan L · · Utah · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 76

Pretty neat configuration. The only issue I see is that the query might strip out - / + grades in relation to sub-10 grades. i.e. 5.9+ seem to have vanished from the charts, not added to the 5.9 category. At least, at a quick glance this is what I'm seeing. Not that it matters at all, but 5.9- / 5.9 / 5.9+ should all be combined into the 5.9 category instead of just calling 5.9 routes. To further clarify, if a climber had ONLY climbed grades listed as 5.9+ grades, the bar graph would be empty, since the bar at 5.9 does not consider 5.9+ in its category. Again, doesn't matter too much, but just wanted to put it out there.

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

If you have the private ticks, can people still see the bar graph or no? 

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453
Stephen L wrote:

If you have the private ticks, can people still see the bar graph or no? 

No, but that would be a good option.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098
Jordan L wrote:

Pretty neat configuration. The only issue I see is that the query might strip out - / + grades in relation to sub-10 grades. i.e. 5.9+ seem to have vanished from the charts, not added to the 5.9 category. At least, at a quick glance this is what I'm seeing. Not that it matters at all, but 5.9- / 5.9 / 5.9+ should all be combined into the 5.9 category instead of just calling 5.9 routes. To further clarify, if a climber had ONLY climbed grades listed as 5.9+ grades, the bar graph would be empty, since the bar at 5.9 does not consider 5.9+ in its category. Again, doesn't matter too much, but just wanted to put it out there.

Ah yes, I forgot about 5.7/8/9 +/-.  Fixed now.  Thanks!

Jean D · · West Coast Best Coast · Joined May 2020 · Points: 0

cool update, but i'm not wild about how the harder grades are broken up into 3 sections. it makes it look like i'm a 5.10 climber. most of my ticks are in the harder range. 

can we keep the color coding, but just group the ticks by their number grade like normal??

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

Another ask: any way to view the same charts but only with sends: redpoints, onsights, etc. Would be great to see a quick route pyramid split by style.

Ben maxwell · · Lynnwood, wa · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 11

Thanks for the new tick breakdown, having that data is neat to see. Might I suggest considering allowing people to break it down by grade per year? I know I would love to compare what quantity of grades I climbed 3 years ago vs now....or be disappointed when I found out it was the same.

Randy Von Zee · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 19,118

It would be nice to be able to click the label to pull up the tick list in the same way you can currently click the bar to load the tick list. Some of the bars are so short they are very difficult to select, particularly on mobile.

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

I noticed the app still truncates the character count for your tick remarks, versus the website where you can log longer tick details. Is this just pending an update or will the app always have this restriction? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "New Tick Breakdowns"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started