Mountain Project Logo

Hit and run at Rumney

Original Post
Alex Scaperotta · · Fayston, VT · Joined May 2017 · Points: 95

Yesterday in the Rumney parking lot someone backed up and over the hood of my new car. This person left no note, hopefully because they simply didn't have paper available. I've had this car for less than a month and it is incredibly saddening to see such big scratches and dents on it already. If this was you, please be an adult and come forward, let's let insurance companies deal with it. 

Otis Rock Ski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 0

Hopefully whoever hit you comes forward.  But form my experience with accidents and hit and runs in New Hampshire.  It’s hard to work things out with insurance because usually the other person involved is uninsured.  Especially up in the woods there is an awfully high amount of people that roll dirty without insurance.  But good luck bro. 

Russ Keane · · Plymouth, NH · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 382

This is exactly why I can't believe people bring Tesla's and Porsche's to that parking lot.   Crazy.   

Rasputin NLN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0
Russ Keane wrote:

This is exactly why I can't believe people bring Tesla's and Porsche's to that parking lot.   Crazy.   

Don't worry, folks who drive Teslas and Porches can afford to fix them.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Tech tip #1. Never park too close to a shitbox. Tech tip 1a. NEVER box in a shitbox.. 

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 2
Rasputin NLN wrote:

Don't worry, folks who drive Teslas and Porches can afford to fix them.

A baseline Tesla costs less than a lot of pickup trucks and SUVs you see around, and about the same as a souped up Honda Accord.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 115
Alex Scaperotta wrote:

Yesterday in the Rumney parking lot someone backed up and over the hood of my new car. This person left no note, hopefully because they simply didn't have paper available. I've had this car for less than a month and it is incredibly saddening to see such big scratches and dents on it already. If this was you, please be an adult and come forward, let's let insurance companies deal with it. 

"Up and over the hood"? Did you park your low rider next to a monster truck?

Alex Scaperotta · · Fayston, VT · Joined May 2017 · Points: 95
Tradiban wrote:

"Up and over the hood"? Did you park your low rider next to a monster truck?

I was parallel parked to an SUV which was parked on a strange angle to the hill near the entrance. The left side of their car was a couple feet higher than the right. High enough that when they backed up it put them against the front of my hood rather than my bumper.

To someone else’s point I wasn’t boxing anyone in, I left plenty of space for anyone who is an even vaguely competent driver to get out

Evan Kirk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 116

Vaguely competent” is a high bar for Rumney...

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5
Rasputin NLN wrote:

Don't worry, folks who drive Teslas and Porches can afford to fix them.

Come on. I understand it can be a bad situation if you're a broke kid and you ding a nice car but there's no justifying this attitude. You don't know anything about that car's owner. It's why you have insurance (hopefully). If you're uninsured and driving to nonessential leisure spots then I don't know what to say. Really shitty to tacitly condone this behavior. 

Also tentative apology if your e-sarcasm went over my head. 

Brian Campbell · · St. Louis MO · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 110

This is why I put a dash cam in my car. Good to have the license plate of the person you're parking behind when things like this happen.

Trevor Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 471

Obviously tell your insurance company, assuming you have uninsured motorist you will be fine but this definitely sucks. It could be worth reaching out to rumney park rangers if the person paid their parking fee and you know the make/model/ lic plate/day you could probably figure it out. They will probably just tell you to screw off though. 

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,599
Brian Campbell wrote:

This is why I put a dash cam in my car. Good to have the license plate of the person you're parking behind when things like this happen.

+1

Most have motion/'shock' sensors to turn on and record if the car gets jostled.  Plus, as you drive into the lot, the video will have footage/plates of the cars next to you (assuming they were parked there before you).

Then, there's all the other awesome reasons to have a dashcam for the rest of the time you're driving (unless someone's a bad driver, in which case they should lobby to have them outlawed    ).

Even the cheap dashcams like the HP branded models are good enough, for ~$30.  One incident pays for three or more dashcams. 

Troy S · · Somerville, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I've seen a lot of "creative" parking jobs there lately.

Max Garnot · · Gunxxx · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

more like hit and RUMney 

BigRed11 · · New England · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 872
Alex Scaperotta wrote:

I was parallel parked to an SUV which was parked on a strange angle to the hill near the entrance. The left side of their car was a couple feet higher than the right. High enough that when they backed up it put them against the front of my hood rather than my bumper.

Amazing the lengths people will go through to cram their car into that lot. Bummer that happened to you.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Hit and run at Rumney"

Log In to Reply