Mountain Project Logo

Is Shuteye fried???

Original Post
Robert Mooring · · Lafayette · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 275

Looks like the creek fire has hit the entire Eastern flank.... :(

Alex Guzman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

A bit back we thought a few areas in SB were done for; they were in the thick of it. Went there after the burn and while it damaged the rock a bit, I think that the result was that bolts were solid and the area would clean up again. Not saying for sure this will be the case but It’s a small comfort in an uncertain world. 

Will Albino · · Denver CO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 20

Smoothie is gone, that much we can be sure of. 

Ben Horowitz · · Bishop, CA/Holland, MA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 134

Clark Canyon went up in smoke a few years back, but not much damage to the rock or even the hardware. Mt. St. Helena also was in the the thick of the big fire in Marin and I the rock was more or less okay, in that case the hardware was mostly replaced out of an abundance of caution.

I imagine the granite at Shuteye should be even less sensitive, plus a lot of the cliffs aren't in heavily vegetated areas (thinking of the slabs around high eagle) so probably less direct heat than in those two cases.

old5ten · · Sunny Slopes + Berkeley, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 3,313
Ben Horowitz wrote:

Clark Canyon went up in smoke a few years back, but not much damage to the rock or even the hardware. Mt. St. Helena also was in the the thick of the big fire in Marin and I the rock was more or less okay, in that case the hardware was mostly replaced out of an abundance of caution.

I imagine the granite at Shuteye should be even less sensitive, plus a lot of the cliffs aren't in heavily vegetated areas (thinking of the slabs around high eagle) so probably less direct heat than in those two cases.

clark canyon didn't have a lot of underbrush/vegetation near the base of the rocks.  mt. st. helena actually experienced significant rock damage in certain places. mountainproject.com/forum/t…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Is Shuteye fried???"