Mountain Project Logo

Canadian Bolting Gear Supplier

Original Post
David Bruneau · · St. John · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 2,520

Canadian route developers: where do you buy your bolting gear? I have always bought from MEC in the past but they don't have much in stock these days. Specifically, I'd like to buy glue-ins that fit a 12mm or 1/2" hole, 3/8" or 10 mm SS expansion bolts with hangers and SS or plated perma-biners.

VertiCall, Climb On Squamish have decent prices but I am hesitant about Kailas and Grandwall gear.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
David Bruneau wrote:

Canadian route developers: where do you buy your bolting gear? I have always bought from MEC in the past but they don't have much in stock these days. Specifically, I'd like to buy glue-ins that fit a 12mm or 1/2" hole, 3/8" or 10 mm SS expansion bolts with hangers and SS or plated perma-biners.

VertiCall, Climb On Squamish have decent prices but I am hesitant about Kailas and Grandwall gear.

Team Tough in the USA is also the importer for Bolt Products in Canada.

Cairn War Machine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 6
David Bruneau wrote:

Myself and other developers on the west coast have been using Grandwall gear for a while now. Great company to deal with, hangers and stations are a good price, I can't think of any issues we have had yet. I kinda wish they had the dimples like Fixie, but it didn't seem to actually affect much. 

I normally buy directly from The Grandwall website, but due to the pandemic stock is hard for them to keep at the moment. 

As for Kailas I have heard great things about them, and nothing bad yet. Seems like they could be an up and comer on the market here. However I haven't actually handled there products yet. 

Oh and MEC is exiting the route development business. Just another bad decision by a bunch of idiot CEO's. 

Jim Titt wrote:

Team Tough in the USA is also the importer for Bolt Products in Canada.

Team tough bolts look great, I would use them if the price was similar to the Fixe or Waves available at MEC. On the team tough site, shipping + exchange rate brought the glue ins (solid leg 10mm × 100mm) up to $11.50 CAD each. And there is probably a duty charge as well?

Cairn War Machine wrote:

Myself and other developers on the west coast have been using Grandwall gear for a while now. Great company to deal with, hangers and stations are a good price, I can't think of any issues we have had yet. I kinda wish they had the dimples like Fixie, but it didn't seem to actually affect much. 

I normally buy directly from The Grandwall website, but due to the pandemic stock is hard for them to keep at the moment. 

As for Kailas I have heard great things about them, and nothing bad yet. Seems like they could be an up and comer on the market here. However I haven't actually handled there products yet. 

Oh and MEC is exiting the route development business. Just another bad decision by a bunch of idiot CEO's. 

Grandwall stuff looks decent, not a bad price for a hanger + bolt combo. Small selection of stuff though, would be nice to be able to get glue ins and steel carabiners. 

Kent Krauza · · Vancouver Island · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
David Bruneau wrote:

And there is probably a duty charge as well?

I’ve ordered from Team Tough into Canada twice and there have been no duty charges. 

Kent Krauza wrote:

I’ve ordered from Team Tough into Canada twice and there have been no duty charges. 

Good to hear. Is shipping free if you order over a certain amount? It seems that way when I estimate the shipping costs of various amounts of bolts.

Cairn War Machine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 6
David Bruneau wrote:

Grandwall stuff looks decent, not a bad price for a hanger + bolt combo. Small selection of stuff though, would be nice to be able to get glue ins and steel carabiners. 

I can't say I have used there bolts, so I'm not sure on the quality of them. Normally I can get ⅜- 3¾ - 304 Simpson wedges for $1.62 a piece from my local supplier.  

David Bruneau wrote:

Team tough bolts look great, I would use them if the price was similar to the Fixe or Waves available at MEC. On the team tough site, shipping + exchange rate brought the glue ins (solid leg 10mm × 100mm) up to $11.50 CAD each. And there is probably a duty charge as well?

Well the 100mm single leg bolt isn't the equivalent bolt to the Wave bolt, for a valid comparison you need the twisted leg bolts.

Competing with the price structure of a cooperative with a limited range of products is unrealistic for a normal company.

Jim Titt wrote:

Well the 100mm single leg bolt isn't the equivalent bolt to the Wave bolt, for a valid comparison you need the twisted leg bolts.

Competing with the price structure of a cooperative with a limited range of products is unrealistic for a normal company.

I know that the twist bolt is closer to the wave bolt, the twists are a little cheaper than your SLBs. In fact, the equivalent twists become less expensive than the wave bolts at MEC IF the shipping cost of $0 is accurate for an order of 100 bolts from team tough. Is this correct, Jim, or anyone else involved with Team Tough?

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847
Kent Krauza wrote:

Hey Kent, you didn't pay any duty but were you charged GST/PST at any time.

It seems that on orders of over $535 there is free shipping, at least that's what appears in the shopping cart. Interesting that the tax they show in the calculation isn't actually added to the total. It may be a local tax that is exempt for exports to Canada. I never actually ordered anything, just did the shopping cart online.

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

Just send DQ an email thru the site. He is always very responsive if he is not out somewhere new routing. I have had issues with the shopping cart function as well and just sent me an invoice. 

David Bruneau wrote:

I know that the twist bolt is closer to the wave bolt, the twists are a little cheaper than your SLBs. In fact, the equivalent twists become less expensive than the wave bolts at MEC IF the shipping cost of $0 is accurate for an order of 100 bolts from team tough. Is this correct, Jim, or anyone else involved with Team Tough?

Just ask Dave direct, he doesn't do internet forums and I don't interfere with his pricing structure!

Kent Krauza · · Vancouver Island · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
rocknice2 wrote:

Hey Kent, you didn't pay any duty but were you charged GST/PST at any time.

It seems that on orders of over $535 there is free shipping, at least that's what appears in the shopping cart. Interesting that the tax they show in the calculation isn't actually added to the total. It may be a local tax that is exempt for exports to Canada. I never actually ordered anything, just did the shopping cart online.

Sorry for the tardy reply. I ordered about $200 worth of hardware and paid a fairly modest amount in shipping.  No GST or PST. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Canadian Bolting Gear Supplier"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started