Mountain Project Logo

Anyone have a video resource for identifying a spinner bolt?

Original Post
I F · · Megalopolis Adjacent · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 4,362

I've searched around a bit and I cannot find a video illustrating what an actual spinner bolt looks like (stud or 5-piece). The reason I'm looking for it is to post the link in a couple local climbing community facebook groups where we regularly get reports of "bad bolts" and "sketchy spinners" that turn out to just be loose hangers on a stud bolt that needs to get snugged down. I'll make the video myself if I can't find one, but I hate hearing recordings of my own voice so I'd prefer to find one made by someone else. 

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

rocknice2 wrote:

Thanks, I found that one as well I'm just hoping to find one where they actually show trying to tighten the nut down and the stud spinning with the nut. I appreciate the effort though!

Greg Barnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,065

Here's a video I took just before replacing a spinning stud bolt a few years ago. Replaced it with a large Twisted Leg glue-in.

This was actually a 10mm stainless stud bolt. The head of the bolt had stretched, so you couldn't unscrew the nut at all. So I got an adapter and used a deep 6-sided 17mm socket and managed to spin it out by spinning the nut. To pull out while spinning, I pulled lightly using a draw on the hanger (since you can't pull out with a socket, unlike a spinner tool).

Thank you! That's perfect Greg I appreciate it alot!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Anyone have a video resource for identifying a…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started