Mountain Project Logo

Climbing at red rock in the winter.

Original Post
Danny Bell · · Buford, GA · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 330

I’ve been to red rock once but everything was planned for me. I was basically a rope gun. I want to drive out late November to early December for 2 weeks. I’m looking at the big advernterious multipitch routes. So where do I camp?  What’s the climbing like? How cold is it? I’m looking at climbing solar slab and epinephrine. What else should I consider. 

David N · · Los angeles · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Pray it doesn't rain - 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
David N wrote:

Pray it doesn't rain - 

Another reason I’m putting aside 2 weeks. What are the current restrictions with covid? 

FrankPS wrote:

Here are your two best resources:

1. https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/106983852/frequently-asked-red-rock-questions-with-links-to-the-answers
  2. https://www.redrocksguidebook.com/contact-us.html

These should answer all your questions. Get that guidebook!

Appreciate it I actually saw that quickly after my post and noticed that it answered most of my questions. Is anything different since covid hit?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Danny Bell wrote:

Appreciate it I actually saw that quickly after my post and noticed that it answered most of my questions. Is anything different since covid hit?

They had the loop road closed for a while due to COVID, but I'm pretty sure it has reopened (June 1, maybe). Check the BLM Red Rock website to confirm that.

Edit: When the loop road was closed, the road to Black Velvet Canyon was closed, too).

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Danny Bell wrote:

Is anything different since covid hit?

Tricky issue.  If you're following a party on a multipitch, and touching all the same holds they were, it's like touching a hundred door knobs.  If they got it, you'll probably have the germs on your hands and gear, rope, etc.  Sharing belays with strangers is russian roulette.  I've been getting up at sunrise and doing some pitches of sport away from others.  If you're good at getting early starts, this is less of an issue for you.  Although if you're one of the ~30% who are asymptomatic, you'll be spreading covid to anyone else that follows you up the climb that day.  It's unlikely (although still possible) the germs on the route from the previous day would survive, especially if there's any sunlight hitting the wall [UV kills germs].

I understand it's hard for 20-somethings in their prime invincibility age to realize they can get very sick from covid-19 and many younger people seemingly could GAF about older/vulnerable populations... For sake of stating the obvious -- my advice, if you're not willing to do a lot to mitigate spread, is to stay home.

Nevada, and the Vegas area in general, is having a hard time dealing with the pandemic right now and it's unlikely the situation is going to be any better once the normal flu season hits and compounds the problems.  If recent history is any guide, this virus isn't going anywhere until a vaccine is widely available and that won't be in time for your trip.  Additionally, depending on where you're going home after, you may be required to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival.  Nevada is on a short list of places where the disease spread is that high.

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

IDK if i would call classic routes that have bolted belays and see hundreds of ascents a year adventurous, but OK. 

Camp at the campground, it is reservation only now. Otherwise you will have to set up on BLM land about 30-45 minutes away from the canyon. 

What's the climbing like.....Pretty much anything you could want. Could you be more specific? 

What will it be like this winter, if I have to guess, is overcrowded, even more so than usual. Already seen multiple "coming down to RR to work remotely for the winter" posts.  Great. I was looking forward to it cooling down, but now I just wish it would stay hot. 

Andre H. · · Boulder · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

Tricky issue.  If you're following a party on a multipitch, and touching all the same holds they were, it's like touching a hundred door knobs.  If they got it, you'll probably have the germs on your hands and gear, rope, etc.  Sharing belays with strangers is russian roulette.  I've been getting up at sunrise and doing some pitches of sport away from others.  If you're good at getting early starts, this is less of an issue for you.  Although if you're one of the ~30% who are asymptomatic, you'll be spreading covid to anyone else that follows you up the climb that day.  It's unlikely (although still possible) the germs on the route from the previous day would survive, especially if there's any sunlight hitting the wall [UV kills germs].

I understand it's hard for 20-somethings in their prime invincibility age to realize they can get very sick from covid-19 and many younger people seemingly could GAF about older/vulnerable populations... For sake of stating the obvious -- my advice, if you're not willing to do a lot to mitigate spread, is to stay home.

Nevada, and the Vegas area in general, is having a hard time dealing with the pandemic right now and it's unlikely the situation is going to be any better once the normal flu season hits and compounds the problems.  If recent history is any guide, this virus isn't going anywhere until a vaccine is widely available and that won't be in time for your trip.  Additionally, depending on where you're going home after, you may be required to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival.  Nevada is on a short list of places where the disease spread is that high.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Andre H. wrote:

Or maybe some of us who live here are just tired of seeing people we know lose their income or get sick.

Andre H. wrote:

Unvirtuous response.

Dan Daugherty wrote:

Wash your hands before putting them, or anything you touch, in your mouth and it's a non issue. 

[Sanitizing] is very doable (on a long multipitch might want to bring a few extra ounces).  Issue is all the contact with clothes, ropes, and gear.  Any re-contact with them requires re-sanitizing.  Most people aren't going to go through 'the bother' or will be forgetful.  Humans are perfectly flawed, which is why viruses exist in the first place.

Austin R · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 2

Covid is a myth spread by (((liberals))) to install 5g towers on mt wilson so climb away earth warrior

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

Really? I heard it was a way to condition us to wearing masks, because once you are used to that you will willingly wear a burka! 

Guess my other post was too "graphic" and got reported? it was half serious. I typically put gear in my mouth when not at a no-hands rest, a habit I will have to change. 

Adam W · · TX/Nevada · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 486
Danny Bell wrote:

Another reason I’m putting aside 2 weeks. What are the current restrictions with covid? 

If you want to climb outside then climb outside with no restrictions if you want restrictions go in a gym and wear a mask

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Climbing at red rock in the winter."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started