Mountain Project Logo

In South Dakota around beginning of Sturgis week.

Original Post
Matthew K · · Corona, CA · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 0

Will be here for a short while on another road trip. Any good recommendations or climbers near Black Hills/Rapid City?

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

During Sturgis?!?  Yeah, GTFO!

Or, climb way out of the way of any highways (like the VC) and be prepared for long traffic delays in route.   Even in this Covid year, they are saying hundreds of thousands will be attending the rally. 

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 741

Don't listen to that guy ⬆️. Yes Rally is busy but it's still climbable during that time. Spearfish canyon has the best selection of sport limestone Sunshine/Shadowlands/The Ranks parking never really fill up from motorcycles. Mohican/Blue Sky have more visitors but get there early and you'll have a spot. If you want to climb hard VC is a great spot, hard hike in and remote but good rock. Rushmore area and Custer State Park will be the busiest with alot of granite trad routes, the most visitors and people. Nemo has good bouldering and Falling rock is trash.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952
Travis Bieber wrote:

Don't listen to that guy ⬆️. 

True that, as all you will be hearing is the roar of motorcycles in Spearfish canyon from sunrise till sunrise. I love the hills, don't get me wrong, I would just never choose to climb there this time of year. But, YMMV. 

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 741

If you can't put up with the noise it would suck to be in the canyon during rally. You should come back in a couple weeks better conditions.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

SD is already surging with Covid before the rally. Its going to be a complete shit show after the rally.  that event is going to be the king of super spreaders... several hundred thousand people stupid enough to attend  which by default means that have not and will not take precautions to stay safe, coming from all over the country to a place that already is having a surge. that will make SDs problem worse and then return  home to infect their home community's. Brilliant...... 

Josh Gibbel · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 195

Just avoid the needles highway area. Bikers are always getting in accidents on that road and there are huge traffic jams.  Other than that everywhere else should be fine. We are really remote out here and have a ton of climbing. I live here and have hardly ever had to wait in line for any climb. I don’t predict a lot of people will be at Sturgis this year, or maybe that is just wishful thinking. 

Town council wanted to cancel but they waited too long and when they tried to cancel were threatened legal action due to contracts...  

Josh Gibbel · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 195
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

Town council wanted to cancel but they waited too long and when they tried to cancel were threatened legal action due to contracts...  

They also sent all the residents of Sturgis a letter stating that they didn’t vote to hold Sturgis the lost revenue would have to be made up with their taxes.  A town like that really needs that revenue.  I live in Rapid City and I hate that rally with a passion. 

the article I read  said they wanted to hold it for all the obvious reasons ( greed and stupidity) by the time they realized it was insane to hold it which was about last week, they realized they are locked in... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "In South Dakota around beginning of Sturgis week."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started