Mountain Project Logo

Stoney Point Climber Fall 8/4/20- Any details known?

Original Post
Michael Anthony · · Crestline · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

I was climbing at Stoney last night 8/4 and around 8PM there was a medi-vac that took place.  LAFD has the incident listed as hiker/climber taking an approximately 30 foot fall, and hearsay was that something happened with a dude rappelling using a GriGri.  I was curious if anyone had any details as to what actually happened- Hopefully it can be a learning experience for myself and others.

Additionally, the incident sparked a bit of knee-jerk reaction within the group and with some passers-by about how bad of an idea rappelling with a Grigri is (which I found a bit comical for several reasons, but that's another discussion/thread).

Wishing the injured a speedy and full recovery .

Mike Stephan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 1,188

I saw the evacuation.  The fall happened near Mozart's Wall.  Not sure of the details, but the person was bleeding from his head.  Stay safe out there.

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 4,402

MyNewsLA link:

Critically Injured Climber Rescued By Air In Chatsworth and Taken to Hospital

A critically injured climber, who is believed to be 22 years old, was hoisted Tuesday evening from between two boulders near Stoney Point in Chatsworth.Rescue crews were dispatched about 7:25 p.m. to the north side of Stoney Point Park, in the 10800 block of Topanga Canyon Boulevard, where the climber appeared to have fallen about 30 feet, according to Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department. He sustained a serious head injury and was hoisted into a LAFD rescue helicopter, Humphrey said. Paramedics treated him until they arrived at a trauma center.

Michael Anthony · · Crestline · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0
Mike Stephan wrote:

I saw the evacuation.  The fall happened near Mozart's Wall.  Not sure of the details, but the person was bleeding from his head.  Stay safe out there.

Yikes. Never fun to hear/see. A sobering reminder to stay vigilant. 

Cole K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 0

Yeah I fell at Mozart's. I landed on my feet luckily, and then fell backwards, hitting my skull on the ground. I had a minor skull fracture, but should make it out with no long-term injuries.

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52
Cole K wrote:

Yeah I fell at Mozart's. I landed on my feet luckily, and then fell backwards, hitting my skull on the ground. I had a minor skull fracture, but should make it out with no long-term injuries.

Glad to hear this!  You're lucky.  Cheers!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Cole K wrote:

Good to know Cole.

Years ago I fell off of the “A Frame”  I was young and well you know you can bounce when young.

So I stopped soloing at SP. 

A long time friend of mine is near death right now from a fall on pot holes 

Soloing can be dicey 

Happy you are OK

Mike Stephan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 1,188
Cole K wrote:

Glad to hear you’ll be okay. Were you soloing? Did you have an equipment failure? Any additional details you can share to help us learn from the experience and avoid future injuries would be helpful. Get well soon. 

Christy Rosa · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 15
Cole K wrote:

Glad to hear you're healing. I've sent you a message.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Stoney Point Climber Fall 8/4/20- Any details k…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.