Mountain Project Logo

Sadernes, Spain: Now - 2021

Original Post
Kyle Goodwin · · Canada · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 0

I will be spending a bunch of time just south of Sadernes for work for the rest of the year. Not sure on the current rules of general feeling on climbing there right now but would like to meet up and climb with someone evening and weekends if possible.

My first trip is scheduled for July 20th to August 11th. Next is August 31st to September 11th or 18th or somewhere around there.

claty · · Cornudella de Montsant, Esp… · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 10

Climbing is fully open now, but it's crazy hot here in Spain. It's just going to get hotter through August. You can still climb but we're definitely not experiencing sending conditions! It's not as easy to find partners as usual because a lot of solo travelers went back to Germany/France/wherever but there are still random solo people around. 

There are intermittent lockdowns; none currently in Sardernes, but Aragon and Lleida have areas that are back to 24 hour confinement. Most of my local friends don't think we're going to go back to the super strict 24 hr country wide lockdown but it's possible they might close climbing again. 

The heat is a problem but I'm not a top level climber anyways. I am quite happy climbing casual shady routes and just hanging out in the mountains.

Where I'm working is a big place so I'm hoping I can find someone there.

Also assuming you looked in to this already but do you have residencia? Borders are currently closed if you're not an EU citizen or long term resident. You need a TIE to enter spain right now. 

I am not a long term resident or EU citizen. How old is that information? The internet tells me Spain opened it's borders to Canda and some other countries on the 3rd of July. The company booked my ticket for me and some other will be traveling to site as well. Presumably they would not invite and pay for us if we were going to get stuck at the airport. I haven't seen anything saying Spain is closed.

Roger Hill · · London, GB · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 15

I believe that Clary's information is out of date, apart from the local lockdowns which may come and go. Don't be discouraged. Some venues such as Beuda will have shade and some near Sadernes such as Montgrony are at altitude.

Bruce Anderson · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Sadernes is climbable now in the shade.  Such a great zone.   When the weather is cooler check out nearby Bellavista. Small zone with three sectors but great routes.  

Ah! I missed that you are from Canada! You are fine. But the EU keeps updating the list of approved countries every two weeks (a few countries were kicked off the list during the most recent review) so you should just keep checking.

I was in Rodellar last week and it was crazy hot. I'm in cavallers now and it's beautiful in the shade. August will be warmer.

In terms of the coronavirus situation, Lleida is about half closed, and part of Aragon went back to phase 2 (no sport allowed). The highway exits off of A2 by Huesca are currently closed. I'm not monitoring the other areas of spain as closely because I live in Catalunya and since the state of alarm lifted each autonomous province makes their own rules... during el estado de alarma, the federal government was deciding closures and now it's more patchwork. You basically just have to monitor the situation day by day and decide what to do. No one really knows what will happen in Aug but I thought you should just be prepared and know the lockdowns are not over and the situation is very fluid. The problem is really if they continue to close the highways, you might not be able to travel to somewhere even if climbing is allowed. We spent a significant amount of time dodging guarda civil roadblocks last time they closed they roads. I had an appointment with la Policía nacional to process my foreign identity paperwork which was supposed to be a valid reason to travel, but guarda civil didn't care. 

Masks are compulsory outside for anything other than sports or if you have a medical condition, even at the beach. We haven't been climbing with masks but most of the people hiking here in the national park are wearing them.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Sadernes, Spain: Now - 2021"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started