Mountain Project Logo

Pinto Rock

Original Post
Jared Willis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

I've never been out to Pinto but some friends and I were considering heading out for some multipitch fun. Any one have any idea what the conditions are like out there this time of year or been up there this year? 

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

Went down that way twice last year, the first time was before they cleaned up the roads and again just after.  Was very glad to have my 2wd truck the first time, the second time we could have made it in anything.  The multi is west facing and the descent eastward, with a hike around the north end back to the base.  Seems like it'd be doable but IDK, the snow still pretty deep in the Olympics above 4k a couple weeks ago. I would look for hiking tr's of highrock as its a similar elevation and not too far away unless you get a better response.

Daniel Bolliger · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 10

Check out https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/
For Pinto it looks like the most recent images without clouds are from June 1, and there does appear to be snow on the road. 

I really appreciate the responses guys, thanks. 

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

It's gonna be wet and cold for a while. I was checking the snow at a similar elevation up that way daily not long back and it was still snowing up there. 1 week of hot weather should clear it off, but it looks like this ain't that week. Shouldn't be long now. 

John Brown · · vancouver · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 185

Pinto is fantastic place to recreate for climbing- one of the best summit top outs being able to see goat rocks, adams, helens and rainier - has some really fun sport but stuff does peel off so be careful grabbing "jugs" and wrenching all your weight on them- I dance like a butterfly up it and finesse the holds to use just enough to move

Headed up next weekend and super stoked! Any recommendations on dispersed camping nearby?

edit: i may have accidentally locked the thread last night, sorry!

Nate Ball · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 11,234

Never been, planning a visit this summer, check around Elk Pass / Boundary Trail.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Pinto Rock"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started