Mountain Project Logo

Anyone try the Arcteryx C-Quence harness yet?

Original Post
wilcox510 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 0

New design, looks kinda trimmed down in the waist but actually supposed to be more comfortable to hang in. Anyone try one yet?

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/c-quence-harness

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

So it's 10 grams heavier than the bd solution and twice the price, arcteryx have really lost their edge over the competition. 

Tim Page · · Bend, OR · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 10

Just ordered one. I can get back to ya soon. 

Jens 1 · · . · Joined May 2009 · Points: 431
that guy named seb wrote: So it's 10 grams heavier than the bd solution and twice the price, arcteryx have really lost their edge over the competition. 

Arcteryx has always churned in every other companies wake.  They have never made anything ahead of the times & did some nefarious business moves to the average joe climber when the US dollar used to be crushing the Canadian dollar years ago. Does Salomon ski enterprises still own them? They will always be known for copying pack designs, harnesses that don’t breathe, & $600 jackets that suck. 

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Jens K. wrote:

Arcteryx has always churned in every other companies wake.  They have never made anything ahead of the times & did some nefarious business moves to the average joe climber when the US dollar used to be crushing the Canadian dollar years ago. 

Can't speak for nefarious economics but they have definitely had some innovations and some really cool stuff you can pin point exactly when that stopped when they brought down jackets to the market they originally claimed they wouldn't until they could actually do something new and different with one, now it's the same puffy as everyone else just 50% more expensive. 

Does Salomon ski enterprises still own them?

Kind of they're owned by Amer sports (also own salomon) who is now a subsidiary of anta sports a Chinese mega corporation. 

They will always be known for copying pack designs, harnesses that don’t breathe, & $600 jackets that suck. 

And yet no one can come close to matching the alpha fl jacket, I wouldn't buy anything else they sell that being said. 

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20
that guy named seb wrote: So it's 10 grams heavier than the bd solution and twice the price, arcteryx have really lost their edge over the competition. 

Having both a solution and an Arcteryx harness currently, I'm pretty sure I'll pay for the Arcteryx though I will try to get it on sale.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Ditto on the Alpha FL.  When Arctyrex gets something right, which in my experience is not infrequently,  its the best in the business.

AlpineIce · · Upstate, NY · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 255

I love my Alpha FL, I just wish Arc'teryx would stop cutting the front hem so damn high, though.  

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

Just bought one as well for 109$ since they are on sale to replace my 4 year old 365 that was getting pretty worn out. Expensive but not awful.  Its cheaper than my shoes and will last way longer.  I will try to remember to come back and post if it is appreciably different in comfort or form.

I have never worn a solution, but the lack of ice clipper loops is a no go for me as mine gets heavy ice and alpine use and I don't like the clip on caritools.   Also, of the harnesses I have tried the arcteryx harnesses are the only ones placing the ice clippers far enough forward for my preference.  Comfort is, imo, fine for multipitch but I would never take my 365 on a big wall again where I had to haul (ouch, but no surprise) and I doubt the new version will be any different.  There is no better harness for a do it all alpine/ice/trad for me, though seb is right in that it is certainly not as innovative a harness as it was a few years ago.   If the new version increases comfort by about "10-20%" I will be really, really happy.

Victor Machtel · · Netherlands · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 0

I'm quite curious about it but my harnesses are currently in no need of replacement. I am quite surprised by its weight compared to competitors such as the Petzl Sitta and Black Diamond Airnet/Solution.  

Genie Genie · · In A Bottle · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

bump

Not MP Admin · · The OASIS · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 17
Jens K. wrote:

Arcteryx has always churned in every other companies wake.  They have never made anything ahead of the times & did some nefarious business moves to the average joe climber when the US dollar used to be crushing the Canadian dollar years ago. Does Salomon ski enterprises still own them? They will always be known for copying pack designs, harnesses that don’t breathe, & $600 jackets that suck. 

If you're still pouting about Arc'teryx I would have to strongly disagree with copying packs, especially 5-10 years ago. Nobody made anything similar prior to the Miura pack line, and nobody made packs like the Naos, Acrux, and other waterproof packs. As far as the last 5-10 years is concerned I agree they have slipped, but saying they have ALWAYS been known for that? Come on dude. 

Also, I would venture a guess to say you've never had an Arc'teryx harness. They are worth every cent in my (balls) experience. 
Tim Page · · Bend, OR · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 10

I used mine for the first time today. I love it. Comfy, plenty light, and the big gear loops are awesome. 

Time did you have a older arc before this?  How does it compare on comfort?   Mine finally just shipped...

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Nick B wrote: Time did you have a older arc before this?  How does it compare on comfort?   Mine finally just shipped...

Yup, I had the same question-- how does it compare/contrast to the older arcteryx designs? Frankly, I felt like the ~2014 arcteryx harnesses where the best, before they started making the material wider+thinner. 

Joel May · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 15

I’ve been climbing in one for a couple months now, and I really like it. Coming from a MM Cadillac, the weight/bulk difference is huge. It’s impressively comfy for hanging belays, but the Cadillac probably still beats it out. If I were going to do a multi-day free climbing route, I’d bring the C Quence, but for aid climbing/a route in more traditional big wall style, I’d pick the Cadillac.

The gear loops are also really nice. Loop for loop, they’re way bigger than the Cadillac. A single rack on one C Quence gear loop is a lot less bunched than on one Cadillac gear loop. Also you get the 5th haul loop on the back, which is basically another mini gear loop. The Cadillac can hold more gear than the C Quence, but most of us wouldn’t ever need to max either harness out. For me, the gear loops sit far enough forward, but when I cinch the waist loop down I only have about an inch left, so if none of the sizes fit you properly you may find the gear loops to be too far back. The gear loops are very far forward on my Cadillac, and that’s something I really like about it. 

I’ve been pretty exclusively working on a sport climbing project so I have yet to do much trad climbing in the C Quence. However on several occasions (mainly during rona) I’ve thrown the harness on and racked up with my full trad multipitch kit. It can handle it all with ease. 

It’s also worth noting that I’ve never tried another Arc harness before. 

Thanks!

Ellis L · · Truckee · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 156

Comparing the construction to the old Arc harness, It has a similar banded molded material on the outside, but the inner harness now has a breathable and comfortable mesh. More like the bd solution. But with durable material and gear loops twice the size. It's comfy and has a nice relaxed fit, easy to move around in, doesn't have that dorky looking "ow my balls" factor that is so common in other harnesses, ha. You forget it's there. Would recommend. 

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
J T wrote:

Nobody made anything similar prior to the Miura pack line

After one great model/design, Arc' in essence stopped making the miura as well (the sub-"c-quent" ones sucked).

I can't stand how far back the gear loops look/are on the C-quence - I'll take the issue of gear in the way of your feet/legs, so I can actually see and easily access my gear when I need it for trad. My Cadillac is good, not great, but I couldn't find a better harness for my wants/needs. 
Not MP Admin · · The OASIS · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 17
Matt N wrote:

After one great model/design, Arc' in essence stopped making the miura as well (the sub-"c-quent" ones sucked).

I can't stand how far back the gear loops look/are on the C-quence - I'll take the issue of gear in the way of your feet/legs, so I can actually see and easily access my gear when I need it for trad. My Cadillac is good, not great, but I couldn't find a better harness for my wants/needs. 

Agreed that subsequent muira packs have sucked, but the original line is/was one of my favorite packs of all time. 

Victor Machtel · · Netherlands · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 0

In my opinion, it's not so much that companies rip each other off, it's more that outdoor/climbing equipment companies exist in a niche that's very prone to optimalization. It's much like the airplane industry or the F1 racing competition in that way. Human anatomy and ergonomics dictate that equipment works in a certain way. Storm hoods are a good example of that. 

Now, I would agree that a large corporate-owned company is much less inclined to experiment with new ideas because they might not be commercial, but that's a different discussion. In that way, Arc'teryx might be lagging a bit, hence also their loyalty to an essentially stand-still (fine, not anymore, see their 2023 pledge to go PFC-free) technology such as Gore-Tex. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anyone try the Arcteryx C-Quence harness yet?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started