Mountain Project Logo

When is the Gunks Reopening ?

Original Post
Chris Topher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 5

Anybody have a clue of when the preserve might reopen? Any insiders here floating around MP ? Speculation?

Their last update was on March 23rd and I haven't been able to find any new information.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I'm guessing NYS will have to re-open this part of the state before the Preserve does anything. Cuomo made it pretty clear that that's not happening for a while.

The Weavers · · High Falls NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 10

My guess is July 1st, but it's purely a guess!

Ben V · · Central Maine · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 1,482
NYclimber085 Rad wrote: My guess is July 1st, but it's purely a guess!

I would think much, much later.

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

Probably not for a long while.  I’d find another, quieter, area to climb.

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I love the Gunks, but its so insanely busy on weekends when the weather is nice. It think it'll be a while before it reopens. 

M Cat · · Hell · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,562

Even if it were to reopen tomorrow, do you really have such a mixed wish for climbing and death? Just go free solo some choss.

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,411
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I know the Preserve is working day and night on all the issues involved.  When they decide to reopen and what kind of phases might be involved I cannot say.  

Dave Custer posted a Poughkeepsie Journal article about the Mid Hudson Region "reopening soon," but that particular article lacks the context of Cuomo's phased reopening plan.  It is true that Cuomo's "Pause" order is set to expire on May 15.  That sets in action a phased reopening plan based on regional attainment of a list of  seven criteria that have to be met over a two-week period in order to trigger the phase. The Mid-Hudson region includes Westchester and Rockland counties, where things are more severe than Dutchess and Ulster, and two of the resulting region-wide metrics have not yet been met, although the trends are heading there.  When the initial set of metrics is met, the region would enter Phase 1.  Here's a reference for all this and more; https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/everything-you-need-to-know-about-new-yorks-reopening-guidelines-2/2402656/

As one can see, there is really no state guidance in Phase 1 that would apply to the Preserve's decisions.  Good news is that Rock and Snow could institute curbside pickup!   State parks have mostly been open anyway, but their ability to manage crowds has been limited and suggests the Preserve will still have to contend with the kinds of behavioral issues that obliged them to close in the first place.  I think everything will depend on whether guests are able to abide by the Preserve's conditions for a reopening that is safe for their staff as well as those using the land.

Jon Rust · · Chesterbrook, PA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Pure speculation, but I'm guessing that initially it'll open for members only, hiking only

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Lyle M wrote: Maybe they could start doing a lottery 

They should have done this years ago. Reserve a time slot on a specific climb, one hour to get it done and move on to next reserved climb. No TR parties, no groups of shirtless pebble crushers all over the roads and no day passes.

MattH · · CO / NM / ME · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,226
A Non wrote:

They should have done this years ago. Reserve a time slot on a specific climb, one hour to get it done and move on to next reserved climb. No TR parties, no groups of shirtless pebble crushers all over the roads and no day passes.

0/10. Not provocative enough for a troll, too shitty a take for a legitimate opinion, though I've a soft spot for hating TR route-hogs.

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
A Non wrote:

and no day passes.

No day passes won’t even make a dent. Four trips a year justifies a membership. Stand at the traps parking lot entrance on a weekend and watch for 5 minutes, It seems like every car that enters is full of members. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
MattH wrote:

0/10. Not provocative enough for a troll, too shitty a take for a legitimate opinion, though I've a soft spot for hating TR route-hogs.

They should put me in charge, I guarantee there will be less whining about the shitshow if they do.

Climberdude · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

Hopefully the gunks limits visitors. That place is a real shitshow

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,411

Yesterday's Ulster County Covid-19 announcement--still on pause:
https://covid19.ulstercountyny.gov/new-york-state-confirms-mid-hudson-region-to-remain-on-pause/

B CS · · NY · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 41
Climberdude wrote: Hopefully the gunks limits visitors. That place is a real shitshow

It seems logical to me that they would have a quota in place when they do reopen.

MattH · · CO / NM / ME · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,226

'Locals' when they can't get in due to the quota they asked for:

Remember the saying - "you're not in traffic, you are traffic".
Chris Topher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 5

Looks like the Mountain House is reopening June 15th.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/hotels-resorts/mohonk-mountain-house-castle-reopening-june

James Donigan · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 30

what about the mountain...BRAUHAUS ?

RJ B · · Basalt, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 310
James Donigan wrote: what about the mountain...BRAUHAUS ?

They've been open....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "When is the Gunks Reopening ?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started