Mountain Project Logo

Massage Guns

Original Post
Patrick Thorpe · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 320

Anybody have any recommendations for massage guns? I've been using the R8 for my forearms and upper arms, but it seems like a percussive massager might be more versatile. I'm getting hammered with ads for them, so I was hoping to get some real-world recommendations rather than ad copy. Thank you!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Pay for the postage ~$15 or so and I will send ya an old skool corded Oster hand massager for nothing. I just plugged it in and works great. Goes for anyone else that wants it.

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

I've had the Hyperice Hypervolt for about a month now and have been mildly happy with it so far. I did extensive research and it came down to the Hypervolt vs Theragun. What won me over with the Hypervolt is that its quiet, abit not as strong as the Theragun. I can watch TV or have a conversation with someone while using it, supposedly the Theragun is very loud.

As far as effectiveness, it works great on those tight muscle spots. I'd say it is one level more effective than a foam roller and sports massage. It doesn't get as deep and specific as my Physical Therapist though. I was hoping it would replace going to my Physical Therapist but it just doesn't do a good enough job.  I consider it another recovery tool, along with foam rollers, lacrosse balls, etc. It is certainly not the "best thing ever" and won't magically cure your injuries.

It came with 5 or 6 different attachments, but I really only use the one.  The battery life is great, and it's easy to use.  Is it worth $350-400? I was lucky to get it on sale, I don't think I'd pay full price. And if you're on a budget then you're better off getting a firm foam roller and lacrosse ball. But if you have money to burn then sure.

Patrick Thorpe · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 320
sandrock wrote: I've had the Hyperice Hypervolt for about a month now and have been mildly happy with it so far. I did extensive research and it came down to the Hypervolt vs Theragun. What won me over with the Hypervolt is that its quiet, abit not as strong as the Theragun. I can watch TV or have a conversation with someone while using it, supposedly the Theragun is very loud.

As far as effectiveness, it works great on those tight muscle spots. I'd say it is one level more effective than a foam roller and sports massage. It doesn't get as deep and specific as my Physical Therapist though. I was hoping it would replace going to my Physical Therapist but it just doesn't do a good enough job.  I consider it another recovery tool, along with foam rollers, lacrosse balls, etc. It is certainly not the "best thing ever" and won't magically cure your injuries.

It came with 5 or 6 different attachments, but I really only use the one.  The battery life is great, and it's easy to use.  Is it worth $350-400? I was lucky to get it on sale, I don't think I'd pay full price. And if you're on a budget then you're better off getting a firm foam roller and lacrosse ball. But if you have money to burn then sure.

Much, much appreciated for your honest assessment. I don't have access to a PT at the moment due to the pandemic, which is why I've been researching massage guns. The price tag was the thing that kept me from pulling the trigger, so to speak. I've got a lacrosse ball and a foam roller. I think I'll be able to make those work for the time being, and maybe I'll check in on the massage guns if there is a sale. Thanks again!

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270
sandrock wrote: I've had the Hyperice Hypervolt for about a month now and have been mildly happy with it so far. I did extensive research and it came down to the Hypervolt vs Theragun. What won me over with the Hypervolt is that its quiet, abit not as strong as the Theragun. I can watch TV or have a conversation with someone while using it, supposedly the Theragun is very loud.

Yeah the theragun is just as loud as the orbital car buffer I use for the same purpose

Zoe im · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 0

So great Massage Guns

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

So the original massage gun review thread has had two years to revisit the reviews. Do you all still feel the same way about your purchases? Did you try some other guns in the meantime to get a more rounded view? These things are pricey, so we want to know more.

Justin Brown · · Bend, OR · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 120

I bought a cheapo gun from Amazon after using the hyperice from a friend.  The Cheapo gun was ok but lacked power.  I had to use the sharpest hardest attachment to really work into knots.

So I did what I should have from the start.  I splurged and got the new Hypervolt, Hyperice.  GAME CHAnGER!!!!  I am able to really dig into my psoas and hip area better than I have ever before.  I have released in incredible amount of tissue and gained range of motion.  If ever I feel shoulder issues coming on a quick session with the gun and I am on the rite track to recovery.  Forearm pump?  hit it with the squishy attachment and plast those muscles to recovery.  Back feeling worked from a workout?  Get your favorite person to fire that gun up and hammer away on all those stressed out back muscles.  These guns are a game changer.  

Not a replacement for antoganist and mobility training.

Paul W · · NY · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 1

Something else to consider for those who own a jigsaw are percussion massage adapters. They fit a standard T-shank chuck and will set you back about $20 vs $200+ (assuming you have a jigsaw).

Alan Toka · · Phoenix · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 10

I bought a refurbished Theragun on eBay (roughly $200) about a year ago after using the Hyperice at my brothers Chiropractic clinic a few times.  It has helped me a lot in recovering from climbing/workouts.  I use it for maintenance in between splurging on massages.  It’s much louder than the Hyperice, but it’s stronger and I like the adjustable head for hitting my back and shoulders.   I believe the newest Theragun is much quieter, but pretty expensive.  Either one is a good purchase IMO!

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 741

Mebak on Amazon roughly $100 feels great and super quiet.

Pierre Proulx · · Montreal, Quebec, CA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 10

model doesn't really matter. what IS important is that you bring it with you on yout next solo climb, along with a bunch of other gear that you are not planning on using. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3eTda7GQA

Jared Willis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0
Pierre Proulx wrote:

model doesn't really matter. what IS important is that you bring it with you on yout next solo climb, along with a bunch of other gear that you are not planning on using. 

dayum, more believable as a parody!

Josh Hutch · · State of Jefferson · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 90
Pierre Proulx wrote:

Is this real life?

Pierre Proulx · · Montreal, Quebec, CA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 10
Josh Hutch wrote:

Is this real life?

If by “real life” you mean: “ is a guy in advertising dumb enough to think that this is an example of a real life application and thus would make a believable add”, then I’m pretty sure the answer is yes...

Karl Henize · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 643

Has anyone used the Theragun Mini (or something similar)?  

I am looking for something light and compact for forearm muscles (warming up, stimulating blood flow, and reducing soreness).  I don’t necessarily need something super powerful for breaking down fascia/collagen. 

Josh G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2021 · Points: 0

I also rock climb, and find it much more effective at pain relief than a traditional foam roller. I was a little skeptical of how well it would work and hesitant at the price. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the bob and brad model. Wish I had purchased this sooner. 

Stephanie Zeng · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2021 · Points: 0

My friends think Hypervolt is great, but it's also expensive, to be frank. I backed the Urikar AT1 Massage Gun last winter and bought the Urikar Pro 2 Massage Gun this year. Urikar AT1 is well-built, intelligent, powerful and quiet! The amazing thing is that when I insert one massage head (it has 6 massage head by the way), this AT1 can recognize it and adapt the perfect speed for me.Urikar Pro 2 gets a rotatable handle,and it does help me with the back and neck soreness.

Niall Shannon · · Seattle · Joined Dec 2020 · Points: 0

Is the Thera gun really worth the cash?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Gblw2nZtQ

I doubt it

Niall Shannon · · Seattle · Joined Dec 2020 · Points: 0

Is the Thera gun really worth the cash?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Gblw2nZtQ

I doubt it

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Massage Guns"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started