COVID-19: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel, practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

Mocc Alternative

Original Post
Nat Vorel · · MN · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 42

I’ve been wanting to get some good shoes for smaller cracks, and moccs are definitely the clear choice on the matter. But, unfortunately, I have super skinny feet, and no matter how much I downsize, moccs just rattle around on my feet and would slip off if I tried to jam anything. Is there something out there for those of us with very narrow feet? A somewhat good alternative to a mocc that’s low volume?

JoshP · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 15

Sportiva's Cobra is more narrow (and aggressive) than moccs

Aaron S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 35

This is for sure the first time this has been discussed 

John Clark · · San Francisco · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 483
Aaron S wrote: This is for sure the first time this has been discussed 

....but we're all bored, so here goes. I have a hard time believing you downsized enough in the mocc, but maybe your feet are totally freakish (pretty sure there is a post about freaky feet right now you should submit to). If I had that issue, I would look into lace ups, because you can downsize, then take the rattle out by tightening the laces (maybe pinks or muiras). For a slipper though, I would try sizing a kids Maverink if you can squeeze into 42.5 or less. I would revisit the mocc though, since the perfect fitting mocc for me I have to use plastic to get on  my foot the first time and then it stretches and molds to my foot over time and is comfortable all day on any terrain (except edgy 1000' slab routes, cause I tried that and the lack of stiffness made me unhappy).

Nat Vorel · · MN · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 42
Aaron S wrote: This is for sure the first time this has been discussed 

lol who’s ever heard of the search function

Nat Vorel · · MN · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 42
John Clark wrote:

....but we're all bored, so here goes. I have a hard time believing you downsized enough in the mocc, but maybe your feet are totally freakish (pretty sure there is a post about freaky feet right now you should submit to). If I had that issue, I would look into lace ups, because you can downsize, then take the rattle out by tightening the laces (maybe pinks or muiras). For a slipper though, I would try sizing a kids Maverink if you can squeeze into 42.5 or less. I would revisit the mocc though, since the perfect fitting mocc for me I have to use plastic to get on  my foot the first time and then it stretches and molds to my foot over time and is comfortable all day on any terrain (except edgy 1000' slab routes, cause I tried that and the lack of stiffness made me unhappy).

Got some freakish pups. The quantum on the left is still too wide despite the sides touching. The blanco is actually my lowest volume shoe, and usually the sides on my other shoes touch by the laces. I can’t really wear any shoes that have velcro because it doesn’t tighten down like a lace and eliminate all the extra space. Most velcro shoes I try on are almost too small in terms of length, but still have enough extra room that I can pinch it out from my foot. Thanks for the recs on the maverink, I’ll try it out next time I go to REI!

John Clark · · San Francisco · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 483
Nat Vorel wrote:

Got some freakish pups. The quantum on the left is still too wide despite the sides touching. The blanco is actually my lowest volume shoe, and usually the sides on my other shoes touch by the laces. I can’t really wear any shoes that have velcro because it doesn’t tighten down like a lace and eliminate all the extra space. Most velcro shoes I try on are almost too small in terms of length, but still have enough extra room that I can pinch it out from my foot. Thanks for the recs on the maverink, I’ll try it out next time I go to REI!

How much pain and toe curl are you getting lengthwise on shoes?

Z Winters · · Mazama, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 240

While it's not exactly a Mocc alternative, if you're looking for very low volume shoes in general, I would highly recommend checking out the Mad Rock Drone LV. I got them because I have skinny feet, but they were so low volume it look me 5 minutes to wrestle them on even though the length was just right. Once I got them on they bouldered and sport climbed amazingly well. 

Nat Vorel · · MN · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 42
John Clark wrote:

How much pain and toe curl are you getting lengthwise on shoes?

The quantums could probably be downsized since it’s only a bit of curl, and they’re quite comfy, more of an all day shoe. The blancos curl my toes as far as they’ll go, and they’re quite painful right now. I can really only wear them for about 10-20 minutes before they get awful.

Henten Anders · · Black Hills of South Dakota · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Unparallel makes a shoe called the Up Macc. I have heard good things about it.

Alek Fredriksson · · Millersville, MD · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 225

In my experience the UP Mocc stretches less than the more recently made 5.10 moccs and has a lower volume heel. One of my favorite shoes. I wear a 39/39.5 SS and have a size 37.5 and 37 in the UP Mocc. I personally like the 37s more. While off my foot the shoes are about an inch shorter in length than my actual foot.  Ive got medium width feet with a high-ish, LV arch and heel.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Mocc Alternative"

Log In to Reply