COVID-19: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel, practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

Sound off: who among us is "essential", and who isn't?

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Zach Anatta wrote: I'm essential to your mom.

Thank you. Please keep her safe.

Bill Shubert · · Lexington, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55

I work for a company that does infectious disease research. Thus, I'm essential, but working from home.

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 361

I’m finishing up Advanced EMT school.  The national registry has implemented a “provisional” certification policy if folks pass the written test before practicals can be scheduled.  So we‘re needed and we aren’t even ready yet.

Mike wand · · San Marcos · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 30

I am a lineman and work on the electrical grid in San Diego. We are still climbing poles and towers and going into hand holes in the streets. We are only working electrical outages and trouble calls. I am on call 24 hours a day. 

Steph Hukk · · Lee Vining, CA · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:
Idaho is still very much an agricultural state. That is protected. But? As with businesses, the small guys are who will be hurting the most. Farmers markets were set to open around the first weekend in April. That's deemed a gathering. Spring/summer is crucial for these businesses. I truly hope my local food system can recover. Even scrambling to find ways to sell, they will be severely impacted.

Any chance they could set up a produce box delivery service potentially? Where people could find out what produce/fruits were available and have a box delivered to their door?  Payment via paypal/venmo prior?
Dave K · · San Diego · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0
Bill Schick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

If you spend all your days posting to these forums - you're not essential.

Will G · · California · Joined 14 days ago · Points: 0
Curtis Baird wrote: I’m finishing up Advanced EMT school.  The national registry has implemented a “provisional” certification policy if folks pass the written test before practicals can be scheduled.  So we‘re needed and we aren’t even ready yet.

How long did this take?

I am non-essential. I worked at a climbing gym that did not have the means or perhaps the will to pay it's employees through their closure.  I don't plan on returning to work there after this is all over, despite it being the most fun I've had at any job.
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,275
Steph Hukk wrote: Any chance they could set up a produce box delivery service potentially? Where people could find out what produce/fruits were available and have a box delivered to their door?  Payment via paypal/venmo prior?

All sorts of ideas have been floated. Our people are very creative, and always looking to the future. They have to be to survive as farmers. Boise started stay at home before the state, so the market here was already planning ahead. However, in the state's list, out today, farmers markets are listed in the fine print as essential and allowed. I assume they'll have to figure out a way to spread everyone out, etc, to make it work.

Online will perhaps be the one thing saving many small businesses. I've already ordered two "grow your own CSA" packages from a local small farm (seeds and starts). And I'll do more of that. 

The problem with online is people don't "shop" online the way they do in person and buy less than they would cruising around a market. But, cruising around in public is problematic too....

My bottom line is support your local peeps, as much as you can. And remember to say thank you.

Best, Helen
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,275

Am I essential? Depends on who you ask. That opposable thumb thing...

BLOOOT!!
Best, Helen aka the opener of cans and provider of laps

D Elliot · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Mike wand wrote: I am a lineman and work on the electrical grid in San Diego. We are still climbing poles and towers and going into hand holes in the streets. We are only working electrical outages and trouble calls. I am on call 24 hours a day. 

I knew there had to be at least one on here somewhere. 

Also Journeyman Lineman, City of LA. Keeping power on, outages, etc. except currently business as usual. No informational meetings, no alterations to anything, sanitizer is backordered, while every utility around us is entering “essential work only” mode. 
Current state of affairs:
Ian Dorko · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 110

I don't usually respond to these things, but I'm waiting for some data collection to finish, so I'll play. I work for a biotech company that is actively providing testing for the corona virus. We are currently ramping up all of our manufacturing and I am in a role supporting those efforts, so I've been working from home (as I am currently) and in the office as appropriate....a lot. We've told everyone who is in a role where they do not need to be in the office to work from home, for better or worse I'm not in that group.

Mike wand · · San Marcos · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 30
D Elliot wrote:

I knew there had to be at least one on here somewhere. 

Also Journeyman Lineman, City of LA. Keeping power on, outages, etc. except currently business as usual. No informational meetings, no alterations to anything, sanitizer is backordered, while every utility around us is entering “essential work only” mode. 
Current state of affairs:

That is same with are Perel sanitizer too in SD. Store room is out. I have been using cable cleaner to keep my line trucks and buckets clean of germs. It’s hard making up million cable and keeping your social dissents from you partner. 

D Elliot · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Mike wand wrote:

That is same with are Perel sanitizer too in SD. Store room is out. I have been using cable cleaner to keep my line trucks and buckets clean of germs. It’s hard making up million cable and keeping your social dissents from you partner. 

We have disinfecting spray in stock, but once we stock trucks with it, it gets stolen for personal use by others in other sections of the yard.

We’re Still going out and working on new business sites in proximity to 40+ Construction workers (including contractors and foremen) that are showing up rain or shine like nothing changed in their world. Our entire work yard is still showing up all at once everyday and congregating. Not good

a beach · · northeast · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 28
D Elliot wrote:

We have disinfecting spray in stock, but once we stock trucks with it, it gets stolen for personal use by others in other sections of the yard.

We’re Still going out and working on new business sites in proximity to 40+ Construction workers (including contractors and foremen) that are showing up rain or shine like nothing changed in their world. Our entire work yard is still showing up all at once everyday and congregating. Not good

I am in construction as well. My boss actually referred to it as a badge of honor that construction is still working and sees it as we are some how keeping the economy afloat. I am doing a renovation in someone’s home right now, and am massively uncomfortable with the whole thing, they are in there 50s. My boss says we can do what is right for us, but if I’m not making money and I can’t collect unemployment it’s not much of a choice... anyone know something I don’t?

Zack Baker · · milton NH · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

I work in a machine shop that manufactures flight critical flow path parts for jet/rocket engines...among many industrial parts and all of our customers are considered essential so were guilty by association 

Free Like the Wind · · Sprayville, CO · Joined 12 days ago · Points: 80

I'm a full-time substitute teacher, mostly high school, and have been for like 15 years now. (All the fun of teaching, and none of the responsibilities: no grading or talking to parents, no planning or meetings, just sheer classroom time.) It takes a certain type of person to walk into a room of unknown students and still have good classroom management and a broad knowledge base. I really love it, but I am a "contract employee," so the second they closed the schools I lost my income. They cancelled school Thursday night while I was teaching my Kinder Club class at the climbing gym (also closed now), and I applied for unemployment Friday morning.  I think I get my first $200/week check starting this Monday. Obviously not enough, but it'll buy groceries for me and the kiddos while we homeschool.  

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 361
Will G wrote:

How long did this take?

I am non-essential. I worked at a climbing gym that did not have the means or perhaps the will to pay it's employees through their closure.  I don't plan on returning to work there after this is all over, despite it being the most fun I've had at any job.

Typically takes one year.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Free Like the Wind wrote: I'm a full-time substitute teacher, mostly high school, and have been for like 15 years now. (All the fun of teaching, and none of the responsibilities: no grading or talking to parents, no planning or meetings, just sheer classroom time.) It takes a certain type of person to walk into a room of unknown students and still have good classroom management and a broad knowledge base. I really love it, but I am a "contract employee," so the second they closed the schools I lost my income. They cancelled school Thursday night while I was teaching my Kinder Club class at the climbing gym (also closed now), and I applied for unemployment Friday morning.  I think I get my first $200/week check starting this Monday. Obviously not enough, but it'll buy groceries for me and the kiddos while we homeschool.  

Our kids schools will definitely be closed for awhile, got word yesterday that they will be "distance learning" soon. I got to tell ya, the homeschooling has been going great, 2 maybe 3 hours and we've banged out everything, I wonder why they ever went to school for all day in the first place!

I didn't sub much but obviously that's totally gone...maybe we can sub from home in the future! I fear this "distance learning" will just be staring at a screen for 6+ hours a day. Merica.
gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1
N H wrote: I'm a mechical engineer for an "essential" company who supplies industrial pumps primarily to nuclear power plants. I get to work from home and will be the forseable future (at least until April 15th as per Governor Scott). Our machinists, assemblymen, quality/inspection teams all are to continue coming to work unless they feel sick. I hope they all stay healthy and safe and that people in this state and everywhere take this seriously. 

Curious what pumps? My company sells fairbanks morse in NYC.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Sound off: who among us is "essential", and who…"