Mountain Project Logo

So how is everyone doing, really?

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10
Peter Gilbert wrote: Bored and stressed, but at least I'm still working and employed. My stress reliefs used to be skiing and climbing, now I can't do either! I hate going to the grocery store as no one has concepts of personal space. Had someone try and push my out of the way yesterday and I was getting bananas, just because they wanted some and the store was almost out.
And to make matters worse I'm down to 2 rolls of TP at home, maybe I should have bought some a couple weeks ago when I was laughing at everyone else...

Grocery shopping is stressful, though so far I've found people to be courteous and keeping their distance. As for getting toilet paper, I don't know the situation in other places, but here in Boulder Target has been getting a supply and putting a decent selection out every morning when it opens. People start standing in a socially distant line starting about a half hour before the doors open and there's enough for everyone to get a package. Don't know if that tip will work in other places. 

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
wendy weiss wrote:

Grocery shopping is stressful, though so far I've found people to be courteous and keeping their distance. As for getting toilet paper, I don't know the situation in other places, but here in Boulder Target has been getting a supply and putting a decent selection out every morning when it opens. People start standing in a socially distant line starting about a half hour before the doors open and there's enough for everyone to get a package. Don't know if that tip will work in other places. 

That's one good thing about social distancing - hopefully it'll help us make more orderly lines... I've noticed the same here - grocery lines look pretty neat.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
James S wrote:

Grocery shopping is stressful? 

If you're in one or more covid-19 risk groups it sure is.
David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Marc801 C wrote: If you're in one or more covid-19 risk groups it sure is.

Even if you aren't in one of the risk groups it is. I'm not in any risk groups, but I live in a house with a person who is in two risk groups, and if I get covid-19 they are going to get it too.

It's impossible to keep 6 feet apart when the grocery store aisles aren't even 6 feet wide.
Wayne Curr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 0

Just laying around the house, smoking pot, lots of sex, drinking coveffe, walking the dogs, climbing in the garage. Basically high school in a remote town all over again, only this time with arthritis.

Ty Gilroy · · Great White North · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 10

This is a list of free online courses with Ivy League schools. There is something for everyone. I am taking one, its been great so far! If you want graded assignments and a certificate signed by the proffs its only $100 usd! Id say thats a steal!
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/ivy-league-free-online-courses-a0d7ae675869/?fbclid=IwAR2I7itLDFgsLSYzU0smeFiZ6_eusRUwyP41Arp8RWW4H5VHM9NSIQPRBoM

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
James S wrote:

Grocery shopping is stressful? And you are giving tips on how to get TP??? 

First world problems to the max. Life must be tough in Boulder.

I've seen Wendy climb. Wendy is a f***ing bad ass. 

If she's stressed it's for a good reason.

All I know about you is your whiny online persona.

Edited to add- +1 to Ty's suggestion for the classes.
My wife and I are doing one from Columbia on the Civil War, which is excellent.
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Whoa! Thanks, Mark. I must know you, presumably from the BRC, but not by name. Please introduce yourself when they reopen. 

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

It would be my pleasure

Jim Bouldin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 0
Raymond Toney wrote: Relatedly, as you may have heard, Colorado now has a resident pack of wolves that migrated in, likely from Wyoming or Idaho. First pack since the last was killed here in my neck of the woods in the 1940s.  I somehow find comfort in that development. We are going to be ok.

Excellent, and no I had not heard.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Agreed! Got to climb with her, hope to do so again, and meet others too!

Best, Helen
Etha Williams · · Twentynine Palms, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 349

+1 to Chris's suggestion of BSG. People stuck in an enclosed space making non-stop consequential decisions with no clear endpoint in sight while watching the official number of survivors decline with mounting dread...for better or for worse, I found that more compelling than a lot of other media I've tried to watch lately, haha.

Tensions are getting a bit high in our apartment (two roommates in my unit, plus three that we interact with in the upstairs unit). People are getting frustrated with each other, often ostensibly for decisions relating to the virus but likely much more about pettier aspects of how we're all sharing space. None of us planned to be quarantined together when we signed our leases! I think we're making the best of it, and I'm grateful for that. Nevertheless, in my own pettier moments, sometimes I feel a bit annoyed to be spending 24/7 with them while not being able to see my closer friends at all (beyond the occasional walk where we try to carry on a conversation while maintaining six feet of distance, which is...ok, I guess).

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6
Artem Vasilyev wrote:

I am so stoked to be living alone during all of this all of a sudden

lol yeah. thinking back to previous roommates, being stuck in with them would have gone really poorly. i'm poly and live with my gf and meta now. thankfully we all get along well and while the cooped up feeling isn't great, we have enough space to be alone or in common areas. i imagine in a tiny apartment it would be different.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Artem Vasilyev wrote:

I am so stoked to be living alone during all of this all of a sudden

Stocked is good, whatever the reason! 

But I think, in a choice between bring quarantined alone, or with less-than-perfect roommates, I might choose roommates. Drama and bickering = something to do, LOL. 
Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465
Edge wrote: I’ve been working largely alone during the Boulder stay at home order of the last week, buttoning up an open wall on a house in the historic district. A small handful of subs have been marching through; easy for everyone to keep plenty of space.  

Today we made the decision to halt work for a couple weeks.  My daily routine is gone, but I can still advance the project by building some custom interior millwork and transom windows in my home shop during the stoppage.

Since my wife has been working from home for two full weeks now, I’m going to begin by building a cherry desk with filing drawers for our home office to make her life much easier. I’m also sitting on some prime hardwood that I brought with me from NH, and have some furniture ideas for designs that I’ve been kicking around.

If I feel like getting claustrophobic, I have to cut apart and remove an old furnace in my crawl space so that I can encapsulate the walls and floor in heavy taped vinyl and insulation to make it conditioned.  Homeowner fun.

If I were to bushwhack just two miles due north from my home, I would end up on top of High Energy Crag, thus not having to drive to climb. This involves descending about 1700’, however, and so the walk home would suck.

I'm always jealous of people with a home shop, but now more than ever!

KYjake · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 30

I've worked from home for 4+ years.

Welcome to my world, everyone.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
KYjake wrote: I've worked from home for 4+ years.

Welcome to my world, everyone.

I've worked from home for 2+ years, but this is kinda different for me. Not going outside because I don't want to is different from not going outside because it's not a good idea.

KYjake · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 30
David K wrote:

I've worked from home for 2+ years, but this is kinda different for me. Not going outside because I don't want to is different from not going outside because it's not a good idea.

I agree it is different. I'm lucky enough to live on 18 acres with a full home gym and bouldering wall. So I still have a safe way to enjoy the outdoors and keep active without putting myself or anyone else at risk. 

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

I don’t know about the books but the show is cheesy as fuck, both seasons. It could have been so much more if only Netflix took time to do it right , it has great ideas in it but as with many other Netflix shows it gets round with quick release. Just my 0.02$. 

Cheesy for sure. But so many great sci fi shows are. Firefly was practically dripping, Starship Troopers was a beautiful puddle of cheese, all Star Trek, The Expanse, Star Wars, shit even 2001 had a perfect thin veneer of it. 

I do agree that they could have tightened a lot of it up to make it more serious, or at least as serious as they seemed to be taking themselves, but the entire genre has always enjoyed its place in the cheese factory.
Etha Williams wrote: 
Tensions are getting a bit high in our apartment (two roommates in my unit, plus three that we interact with in the upstairs unit). People are getting frustrated with each other, often ostensibly for decisions relating to the virus but likely much more about pettier aspects of how we're all sharing space. None of us planned to be quarantined together when we signed our leases! I think we're making the best of it, and I'm grateful for that. Nevertheless, in my own pettier moments, sometimes I feel a bit annoyed to be spending 24/7 with them while not being able to see my closer friends at all (beyond the occasional walk where we try to carry on a conversation while maintaining six feet of distance, which is...ok, I guess).

When I think about being cooped up with the assortment of people we lived with in our Somerville apartment, I shudder.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "So how is everyone doing, really?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started