COVID-19: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel, practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

Anyone into Sewing?

Nolan Yahok · · Montrose, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Julian H wrote: I have a couple Industrial sewing machines that I’m trying to sell. Done are really cheap. All in great shape. 

Where you at and what do you have?

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,188

There is some good stuff folks are making.

I will toss something out that I suggested to some commercial folks. Many of us have dogs and like us dogs gotta shit. I don't mind bagging their poop but it is a bit of a PITA to carrying it when you're out for a quick run/hike/ride/ski. It my dog's poop so she should carry it. I have looking at making Puppy Poop Pack. Something simple like a fanny pack for dogs. There are some great lightweight harness out there, they just need pouch on them without becoming full on side bags.

And while we are showing off the cool thing we all have sewn over the years what is the silliest thing ? For me it was probably what is in the attached photo (I will people guess what it is holding).

Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 236

Made some outdoor gear from Frostline patterns that were widely available in the 1970s and 80s.

Lately been making lots of leather goods from my own patterns.  It’s quite enjoyable.  

Bar Sarig · · Detroit, MI · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Hey guys!

It's super awesome seeing so many people are into sewing gear. I am a design student interested in outdoor gear design and a few months ago i started making some of my own gear! 
Bar Sarig · · Detroit, MI · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

If anyone is looking for good fabric/ materials- hit up Seattle Fabrics they are the shit.

Chris Carpenter · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Awesome to see others making gear.  I started myog last summer and have made a few pieces that go on most of my trips.  So far most of the gear I have made has been UL backpacking focused.  I plan on making a climbing specific pack for this summer, and maybe a heavier-duty pyramid tent that is more 4-season base camp focused.

I get most of my supplies from ripstop by the roll, seattle fabrics, and outdoor wilderness fabrics.  Have had good experiences from all these suppliers.  I also have been 3d printing some plastic hardware (ladder locks, piping sliders, etc) which has proven useful.

UL 300x400d ripstop nylon framed pack (~35-40L):

1.1oz silnylon pyramid tent:

30° down quilt:
Lauren Fuegel · · Syracuse, NY · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

These are all awesome! Got inspired to make a little rucksack and now I’m definitely hooked on making some more gear.
My friend makes some pretty rad climbing pants and she’s always up to make more!

revans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 50

UL 300x400d ripstop nylon framed pack (~35-40L):

1.1oz silnylon pyramid tent:

30° down quilt:

Nice looking stuff! That verticals baffles is brilliant !

Max R · · Bend, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 240
Great looking stuff everyone. Heres my attempt a small-ish pack. 
Elisa R · · SLC, UT · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Perhaps this can be a next project: ​Sewing Fabric Face Masks​​​

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 136
Elisa R wrote: Perhaps this can be a next project: Sewing Fabric Face Masks
I was going to say something else, but I'll refrain

revans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 50
Max R wrote:
Great looking stuff everyone. Heres my attempt a small-ish pack. 

dude that looks like a super flash pack from rei! nice work. the pocket on the outside is rad. that pack is my favorite ultralight ina push pack. is that a haul loop??

revans wrote:

dude that looks like a super flash pack from rei! nice work. the pocket on the outside is rad. that pack is my favorite ultralight ina push pack. is that a haul loop??

Hey thanks man! I kinda modeled it after the flash/ creek 20. It is a haul loop. I still need to add another on the backside so there’s 2.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,936

Here's what I'm sewing this week. Lots of how-to info out there for anyone so inclined.

I think i’ll start sewing masks too, if i can find some fabric.

Here’s my attempt at wallet

Julian H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5
Nolan Yahok wrote:

Where you at and what do you have?

I have a 

Consew 199 in almost brand new 
Pfaff 141, there is someone that it thinking of buying it 
Pfaff 461 
Columbia 300 blind stitch 
If I decide to sell maybea  flatbed top and bottom wheel feed, and a singer 20u 
Tony Bob · · Lakewood, OH · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

this is all awesome stuff and I'm super motivated now after reading this thread. I've been thinking of taking the time and getting a machine for my own use but I want something that will do both delicate work like repairs or something like that but also be able to stitch together heavier stuff like webbing or canvas. I was shopping around online and I see that Michaels carries a few models of singer that are purpose built for being able to stitch have your stuff but can they do lighter stuff to? And how easy is it for an idiot like me to get started figuring all this out on their own?

EFS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 160
Tony Bob wrote: this is all awesome stuff and I'm super motivated now after reading this thread. I've been thinking of taking the time and getting a machine for my own use but I want something that will do both delicate work like repairs or something like that but also be able to stitch together heavier stuff like webbing or canvas. I was shopping around online and I see that Michaels carries a few models of singer that are purpose built for being able to stitch have your stuff but can they do lighter stuff to? And how easy is it for an idiot like me to get started figuring all this out on their own?

anything in michaels isnt going to be heavy duty enough to sew heavier stuff....do yourself a favor......check craigslist or ebay and find yourself a older industrial machine. a 308 is an awesome machine. adjustable zigzag and straight stitch (the 308 does a zig zig-zag zag which is stronger). if you look long and hard enough you can probably find one for 200.....thats with the table and motor. some will be more, and if youre lucky youll maybe even be able to land one south of 200....

Jorge Pantalones · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 85
Gunkiemike wrote: Here's what I'm sewing this week. Lots of how-to info out there for anyone so inclined.

As for surgical masks, ugh, I've been kind of surprised at how little technical information about them that's available here on the internets.  Concerning to me is how much suspect information that has popped up in the past week.  There's a lot of misunderstanding.  To help a local group of makers producing masks for healthcare workers here on the front range, I summed up what information I could get my hands on and put it here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14An2xHfcxXIkiuZe0kpeBRjIep3uYSNrdeuIGWqvmJU/edit?usp=sharing

If some of us are taking a break from sewing wallets and chalk bags this week, I hope this helps.  If any of you have thoughts/additions, please let me know and I'll update the document. 

Lastly, I don't want to hijack the thread with this - let's keep sewing way cooler stuff than masks!
Meredith E. · · Bainbridge Island, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
EFS wrote:

anything in michaels isnt going to be heavy duty enough to sew heavier stuff....do yourself a favor......check craigslist or ebay and find yourself a older industrial machine. a 308 is an awesome machine. adjustable zigzag and straight stitch (the 308 does a zig zig-zag zag which is stronger). if you look long and hard enough you can probably find one for 200.....thats with the table and motor. some will be more, and if youre lucky youll maybe even be able to land one south of 200....

Yes and no, I have an old Janome and it will handle up to 3 layers of canvas if  you go slow and gentle and use the right needle, I am looking into a more industrial straight stitch machine though because it will wear the poor thing out (I don't do that much canvas, but I'm starting to sew my own jeans and denim is heavy too), so take into account how much you'll be sewing.  Most basic machines will do lightweight stuff, you just have to adjust the foot pressure and thread tension, and for multiple layers and slippery fabrics, invest in a walking foot, you will thank yourself later.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anyone into Sewing?"