Mountain Project Logo

Anyone into Sewing?

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

Those wallets look cool, i’ll have to make one of those today.

Ackley- I’m not sure why i didn’t think of that. Sounds much easier. Sometimes to get around sewing a circle, i just box out the corners and cheat it. Like this dog bowl.

Meredith E. · · Bainbridge Island, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 5

Seattle Fabrics does online orders, carries a wide array of outdoor fabrics and patterns and materials for everything from bivy sacks to ski pants, great store, I use them a lot!.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/

Dario Piana · · Guadalajara, Jalisco · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 10

Wow, very cool! It's awesome to see your guys' work. Sewing is no easy task, takes years to learn well.

Congratulations, stay healthy and stay strong!

Jon Banks · · Longmont, CO · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 226

I've been getting into sewing too. I've bought all my supplies from Rockywoods in Loveland, CO. All the following bags were made with X-Pac.

Last year I made two frame bags for bikepacking

And the other day I made a box that sits in a bike basket so we can take our dog on rides. Ha!
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Used to run a mom and pop local sewing biz in the 80's. I've made most everything, clothes, tents, backpacks, daypacks, duffles, dog packs, panniers, ditties, knick knacks, climbing harness, some vertical caving gear etc. Back then got end rolls and leftover overstock fabrics from lowe alpine in broomfield, and commercial suppliers in Denver. More recently I've picked up odds and ends from OWF, and Rockywoods fabrics. Still have a bomber Pfaff walking foot single needle machine, real workhorse, will sew from tafetta to multiple layers of cordura plus foam and webbing for pack belts and shoulder straps. id love to have a serger or at least something with excellent overcast stretch stitch for stretch fabrics.

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

Inspiring stuff!
Love seeing these creations. 

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Stiles wrote: Ray Jardine Sewing Tips, Patterns

While youre staying at home, peruse this badass website from the man who created Friends.

Blood Cleaner???  Hmmm, not sure about Ray's mental health. He believes things that aren't true.

http://www.rayjardine.com/Blood_Cleaner/index.htm
Dan Leininger · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 6

With a walking foot Juki(or pfaff or consew) and a bartacker, a guy could manufacture a whole bunch of really nice climbing equipment.

My buddy swears by a sailrite as a do-it-all machine, but alas, youll still need a bartacker if you wanna resling those cams. 

Dave Olsen · · Channeled Scablands · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 10
Dan Leininger wrote: With a walking foot Juki(or pfaff or consew) and a bartacker, a guy could manufacture a whole bunch of really nice climbing equipment.

My buddy swears by a sailrite as a do-it-all machine, but alas, youll still need a bartacker if you wanna resling those cams. 

I used to sew all my own slings and harnesses using a straight stitch machine. You just have to use the right thread, right stitch pattern, right number of stitches for the item and have some method of testing. I tested with a padded hydraulic jack and also a Nissan 4x4 combined with a logging chain and a 4' DBH Oak. REI had an article on how to make your own runners that got me started. Even found a pound of Kevlar and of  Spectra thread when they first came out. The Kevlar didn't fair so well after being sewn, but the Spectra required only 1/4 the stitches as the nylons and polyesters I was using. I  have a Bar Tack machine now, but just sent away my old cams to Mountain Tools since they had a nice selection of colors for the webbing.

The RainShed has patterns as well as fabric.

I carry the 30, 70, 210, 420 and 1000 denier nylon and have some zipper and webbing too.
The Bonded 69 nylon thread I sell is about 10 lbs per stitch if sewn in the direction of pull, but I am not saying you should make anything from it for life support.
It works great for packs, gear loops, etc. It will feed in drop feed machines if you are gentle as well as walking foot and needle feed.

If you can find an old Pfaff 130, they are great compact home machines with metal internals that hold up to stitching webbing, Cordura etc.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
M Jarmland wrote:
Minimalistic wallets for me and all my friends.

Fact - I made the wallet I still carry in 1977. Cordura with nylon seam tape for the edges. No commercial wallet comes close for simplicity and slimness.

John Penca · · North Little Rock · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I've had sewing machine leg.

Sarah Duke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 0

Nice stuff! I've only cropped my pants before. Now I want to try to sew these bags too.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

There is some good stuff folks are making.

I will toss something out that I suggested to some commercial folks. Many of us have dogs and like us dogs gotta shit. I don't mind bagging their poop but it is a bit of a PITA to carrying it when you're out for a quick run/hike/ride/ski. It my dog's poop so she should carry it. I have looking at making Puppy Poop Pack. Something simple like a fanny pack for dogs. There are some great lightweight harness out there, they just need pouch on them without becoming full on side bags.

And while we are showing off the cool thing we all have sewn over the years what is the silliest thing ? For me it was probably what is in the attached photo (I will people guess what it is holding).

Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

Made some outdoor gear from Frostline patterns that were widely available in the 1970s and 80s.

Lately been making lots of leather goods from my own patterns.  It’s quite enjoyable.  

Bar Sarig · · Detroit, MI · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Hey guys!

It's super awesome seeing so many people are into sewing gear. I am a design student interested in outdoor gear design and a few months ago i started making some of my own gear! 
Bar Sarig · · Detroit, MI · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

If anyone is looking for good fabric/ materials- hit up Seattle Fabrics they are the shit.

Chris C · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Awesome to see others making gear.  I started myog last summer and have made a few pieces that go on most of my trips.  So far most of the gear I have made has been UL backpacking focused.  I plan on making a climbing specific pack for this summer, and maybe a heavier-duty pyramid tent that is more 4-season base camp focused.

I get most of my supplies from ripstop by the roll, seattle fabrics, and outdoor wilderness fabrics.  Have had good experiences from all these suppliers.  I also have been 3d printing some plastic hardware (ladder locks, piping sliders, etc) which has proven useful.

UL 300x400d ripstop nylon framed pack (~35-40L):

1.1oz silnylon pyramid tent:

30° down quilt:
Lauren Fuegel · · Buena Vista, CO · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

These are all awesome! Got inspired to make a little rucksack and now I’m definitely hooked on making some more gear.
My friend makes some pretty rad climbing pants and she’s always up to make more!

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292
Great looking stuff everyone. Heres my attempt a small-ish pack. 
Elisa R · · SLC, UT · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Perhaps this can be a next project: ​Sewing Fabric Face Masks​​​

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anyone into Sewing?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started