Mountain Project Logo

Free Indian Creek Campsites

Original Post
Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

I have a favorite campsite in Indian Creek. Unfortunately, the secret is out and it has become many others’ favorite site too.

Between last fall and this spring, I have swung in to find the site mostly occupied but in various states of abuse, disrespect, and litter.

I am perplexed, but not surprised, that a group that is supposedly for the environment can leave such a scourge on the earth they claim to love. Plastic wrap, fishnet, kitchen utensils, plastic bread bag clips, Ramen wrappers, water bottles, water bottle caps.

This is how we lose access.

Beyond the obvious environmental concerns, it is blatantly rude, disrespectful, and selfish to leave such a mess for those who came before and those who are coming in the future.

Pack it out. I cleaned up your mess.

This is only a fraction:

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 441

Indian Creek draws a ton of climbers who haven't climbed much outdoors, or perhaps haven't climbed and camped in a more remote setting. This combined with unique LNT practices (i.e. poop) makes it our responsibility as experienced climbers to educate folks who may be causing more impact than they realize. Posting like this is one way to do that, also consider posting similar things on your own social media and calling people in when you see poor practices in person. This will not change without our support.

Encourage folks to use the pay sites. They have toilets and tent sites that are established. I've seen more and more people "creating" sites recently that used to have crypto. Teach them about living soil crust. Give them a wag bag. Inform them about the risks of climbing on wet sandstone. These things are not just their problem, they're our collective problem. 

Leaving trash is a whole 'nother story. Everyone knows that's wrong.

Trad Man · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
Adam Fleming wrote: Leaving trash is a whole 'nother story. Everyone knows that's wrong.

I wish that were true. I could even name a nationality that thinks leaving smoldering plastic in a fire pit is best practices. 

There ought to be some signage about not climbing when it's wet. I'd volunteer some grunt work to make that happen.
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Charlie S wrote: I have a favorite campsite in Indian Creek. Unfortunately, the secret is out and it has become many others’ favorite site too.

I had the same problem 25 years ago!

In all seriousness though, are you sure it is climbers?
Regardless, yes it is a shame.  The place has suffered all of the abuses and that is why the developed camp sites were opened.
Used to be that Bridger Jack, the Creekside, and the Cottonwoods were big enough for everyone.  Similarly, it wasn't like winning a lotto ticket to show up around Castleton on Weds and find something.  Now and then there was a crap-bomb, of course, or some cans or whatever, but it got overwhelming.
As the sites are more and more often filled and more often crowded, this will happen more.

Also - the gathering of wood, particularly in winter...

I always hope that things will get better, but ours is a growing sport, and the best we can do is educate.
Have you tried stopping by in a friendly manner when you see messy campsites and asking them if you can spend a few minutes helping them clean up?

The shaming of that particular offer can work wonders with a few people.  Most, no.  But it motivates some folks.
Tony B wrote:

In all seriousness though, are you sure it is climbers?

Whoever it is, climbers will get the blame and bear the brunt. I think signs at crossroads will be effective in any case. 
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Trad Man wrote: Whoever it is, climbers will get the blame and bear the brunt. I think signs at crossroads will be effective in any case. 

People who litter like that pay attention to signs?

Tony B wrote:

People who litter like that pay attention to signs?

People who litter are often a) pig ignorant b) think no-one is looking c) come from a country where littering is no big deal d) need a helpful reminder.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Free Indian Creek Campsites"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started